• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder here looking for help with gaming build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prejler

Hello.

I'm about to build my first computer and I put something together myself in my general price range. Would gladly appreciate any input you have on the different parts and also if you think the system is gonna be any good for gaming.

CPU: Intel I5-4690K
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming 2GB PhysX
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Socket-1150
PSU: Cooler Master g650M, 650W PSU
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB OEM
Case: In Win GRone Big Tower
Drive: Samsung DVD writer, SH-224DB
My price range is 1200-1300$
Thanks a lot for your help!

ATM nailed it, I think :)

You could probably go Extreme 4 instead of 6 and shop around for a cheaper case that you like. That would save you ~$100 more and let you bump up to an i7 instead of i5. Not necessary, of course, since the i5 is neck and neck with the i7 for gaming right now, but at least you'd have it if future games make use of the extra threads.

What will you be cooling the CPU with? Stock cooler? I have two suggestions: 1. Get an aftermarket CPU cooler, especially if you will be overclocking and 2. Go with another brand of motherboard besides MSI. That companies products don't have a good reputation with overclockers because their power phase components are weak. This is especially evident with higher end AMD CPUs but not sure it is a particular problem on the Intel side.

Like ATM's build as well, probably go in a different direction than the eVGA until they get this cooler deal cleaned up

If you have an MC near you could save close enough to get an i7.

With new consuls sporting 8 cores the writing may be on the wall for the i5, this is not fact, simply my opinion of where the industry is heading

good luck with the build

Like ATM's build as well, probably go in a different direction than the eVGA until they get this cooler deal cleaned up

If you have an MC near you could save close enough to get an i7.

With new consuls sporting 8 cores the writing may be on the wall for the i5, this is not fact, simply my opinion of where the industry is heading

good luck with the build

That EVGA GPU uses the ACX 2.0 cooler.
It doesn't have the issue you're referring to :)

My bad, thought it was the ACX not lining up with the die ?

That's the ACX, not the ACX 2.0 :)

Also, if you look, you can tell that it actually lines up as intended.
The heatpipes were put off-center intentionally.

Back