• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My future build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexisvx

Registered
Hi all,
I am building my first pc and have decided on the below parts. I am recycling my current RAM, GPU and storage.
Does it look like a good build, what do you think?

Case (new):
Fractal Design Define R4

Motherboard (new):
Asrock Z97 Extreme 4

CPU (new):
i5 4690k

CPU cooler (new):
Noctua NH-D14

PSU (new)
EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

or (depending, on price fluctuations)

Rosewill capstone 550
Seasonic ssr-550rm
EVGA 120-G1-0650-XR

Gcard (already own):
GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB

RAM (already own):
2x 4GB (DDR3)

Hard Drives (already own):
1x SSD - 70GB
1x 300 GB

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/alexisvx/saved/PYdMnQ

Last edited:
Grab a 500W PSU, even that is overkill for an i5 and 650Ti.

Why Z87? Go Z97.

OMG, you totally saved my butt with the mobo, I was looking at the previous version so thanks for that!
With regards to power supply, the EVGA is going for really cheap now ($70)- cheeper than 550W models ($80) so thought I would go for that. I am trying to build as silent system as possible, do you think that the noise level will be much different between 550W and 750 of the above models?

Nope, you will hardly hear either of them, pulling only 150W (CPU+GPU)+maybe 50W (hdd, mobo...) under full load ;)

Also, your list has the 4670K, but you typed 4690K here.
You can save a few bucks by getting the 4670K and OCing it instead of buying the 4690K.

Shouldn't be any difference in sound, and I didn't realize the EVGA 750W was quite that competitive.

Ha! Didn't see it in the list. So long as it's not 1333mhz, I'd call it serviceable too! Nice catch Manu!

Thank you for all your replies.
My Ram is DDR3 1333 so it's compatible. As regards to CPU I initially was going to go for the 4670k but right now the 4690k is only $5 more from superbizz and I plan on o/c it.

That ram will work fine but it leaves a bit of performance on the table in games. If you have the money, I would upgrade to 1866/2133.

Last edited:
I don't have the money now as I am spending it all on case, cpu, cpu cooler and psu. What difference are we talking about for the RAM?

Don't worry for th RAM, the improvement would be marginal between 1333 and 1866/2133.

You'll get it later on when you have the money.

May I ask you a question alexisvx?

What is your current config?

Last edited:
A couple % according to reviews. Not a huge deal but there is a measurable amount left on the table.

manu2b
my current config is:
Mobo: DFI LP UT P45-T3RS
CPU: Intel Core duo E6850 @3 GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB
RAM: 2x 4GB (not sure of brand)
PSU: ETASIS ET850 @ 850W

Yesterday I bought the i5 4690k and EVGA 750W ATX12V . I will be watching the prices and buy the other components over the next couple of months.

LOL, yeah right?!
I've had it for about 5 years and it still performs good but won't be able to keep up with new games coming out in 2015

Back