• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for opinions and suggestion on my next build (watercooled itx)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

majormech

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($234.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($75.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Other: Sandisk SD8SN8U-1T00-1122 X400 1TB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive ($254.79)
Other: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK X 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card ($809.99)
Other: ekwb parts ($650.00)
Total: $2594.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-22 15:16 EDT-0400

Watercooling parts:
EK-FB ASUS M8I Monoblock - Nickel
-Not sure if i am going to get the mono block or just a CPU block yet. Has anyone used the mono block? I know it will help cool the MOSFETs but not sure how much that will help with overclocking the board.
EK-RES X3 110
EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi (incl. pump)
EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual)
-I would like to try to fit two in the case if the top mounted rad does not hit the power board
EK-HD PETG Tube 10/12mm 500mm
EK-HDC Fitting 12mm G1/4 - Black
EK-AF Angled 90° G1/4 Black

Case fan:
Thermaltake Riing 12 LED RGB
-Has anyone used these fans or is using them right now? how well do they look in the case? How well do they work? I cant really find any good reviews on them youtube/ google.

I might add some other RGB LED in the cases if the ones on the Thermaltake do not look how i want them to. I am also thinking of making a it a either having baby blue pastel or yellow pastel color in the tubes. Anything that is not black on the motherboard/psu/memory will get removed or covered up. I would really like to in the future change the tubes to glass but I am not sure on the right now since i have not ever worked with the glass tubes.

If you have any suggestions on the build please let me know. I am hoping to start to buy parts and build it as soon a the 1080 comes into stock (so sometime late next month if not august).

You'll want two of those rads at minimum for that build. Other than that, everything looks pretty good.

The Riing fans look pretty sweet in my opinion. I've heard they're pretty decent rad fans too.

I've read the same about the riing fans. I don't own any so can't confirm so take that for what it's worth.

I don't think you'll necessarily need 2x 240 rads. The seahawk has its own 120mm rad so you'll only be cooling the i7-6700k and maybe the vrm's if you go with the mono block. So you're looking at less than 150W of heat. With that said if you can get the 2x 240mm in there I would do it. From Google images it appears you can fit a 240mm up top if you use low profile ram and your monoblock isn't to tall (<35mm per website).

Google image
nano water.jpeg

Well after doing further research and finally finding out that with a 240mm rad in the top the motherboard only has something like 35mm room for the motherboard. Unfortunately the impact board is something like 45mm due to the power board. So due to this I had to either change the motherboard I really wanted or change the case I really want. I ended up choosing to change the case out for the NZXT Manta because of the water-cooling support (getting up to 280mm rads most likely will do a 240mm in the top and a 280mm in the front). I also am going to get the Asus strix 1080 and a EK water-block, the only reason i am doing this is because i think i might look better with all Asus main parts.

Thoughts?

@majormech, you might want to take a look at the M.2 SSD since Impact VIII has only a U.2 port ;) There is a SFF-8639 to M.2 adapter at microsatacables.com for 47$ IIRC. Otherwise you might want to grab the Intel 750. Other than that, sounds solid to me!For fans I would go with EK-Vardars. I'm preparing a similar build with an i5 6600k in a Bitfenix Prodigy, I'm getting those fans so you might want to keep an eye on that as well! :)

Back