• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 8300 and 8310

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rescuetoaster

Hey all,

Does anyone here have any experience with these two cpus? They can be had for sub 100 dollars with coupons, and I just so happen to have some decent heatsinks laying around. Can anyone think of a reason why these shouldn't overclock to a decent speed (4.4 or 4.5ish)? They are unlocked like any other fx series.
Also, are motherboards going to require bios updates specific for these or does that not matter within the same generation of processors?
I'm trying to piece together a cheap gaming rig for the father in law. Just DCS and battlefield type stuff, and can't really find a better deal than this assuming they are willing to overclock.

No experience here but I can't see whay they wouldn't OC to some extent. Judging by the low core clock they keep the TDP dow , good for OEM which is where they first appeared AFIK. So back to OC , it wouldn't surprise me if they won't OC too high. I only find a few subs at the bot and 1.55v for 4.8G is what sticks out to me. Likely run in the Low 4 range with air cooling. This is jus my opinion. Same goes for any CPU though silicon lottery and you might find a gem but not likely. BIOS should most likely run any FX cpu if it's capable. My 9370 runs on a BIOS with no "official" support.

Bios issue was my main concern - I'm not super excited about using a newer revision UD3P, but it has the best power phase and options for the lowest price however it doesn't list the 8310, but does list the 8300. Unless an amazing intel deal come along in the next few days, this will be the combo. I'll report back with how it performs.

Other motherboard option is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790 but it's 6+2, which doesn't excite me for an fx series cpu.

Run and hide from MSI on AMD.

The board Johan linked is your best bet for cheap AMD.

Yep Johan, that's the one I was originally eyeballing. It's the newer revision of my current board, but I had heard they made some not so good changes to it. For the price, however, I'm sure it will do just fine.

Alright, so after much swearing at my cooler, the build is more or less complete. Is the guide for overclocking bulldozer completely applicable to piledriver (CPU-NB voltages, max temps etc.)?

very much so.

as with most fx you will find the most through put for watts at around 4.2 when tuned out.

Excellent, thanks.

Looks like I'll have to hold off for a bit - I can't get any core temp readouts, and I think it's because they haven't added this CPU to the bios yet.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717&dl=1&RWD=0#bios
They've got a beta out, but the filetype that is within the zip isn't a .bin file - I *think* if I were to change the extension to .bin, then it would be the beta bios I'm looking for, but this isn't my hardware and I don't want to bork it.

That smiley face does NOT instill confidence. lol

Still no core temps after flashing the beta. I assume TMPIN1 is the socket temp since it's the only thing that climbs when I'm running prime on blend. I should just be able to use that to find a decent overclock, right? I've got a fan blowing on the back of the socket, so I'm not sure what the offset would be from the core temp however.

It's weird, hwmon and core temp don't even display the individual cores.

Last edited:
There are no individual core sensors. There is only one sensor.
Yes, you should be able to come up with a reasonable overclock based on just that one temp.

Nice. Okay, things are going swimmingly so far. 4.3 ghz running on prime for the last 20 minutes @ 1.3 volts, with LLC set to extreme which puts it up to 1.4 (WOW that's a lot of LLC!). Once I find my top end, I'll back it down a bit and lower LLC until I find something nice. So far core temps are staying at about 53, and socket is about 57.

(WOW that's a lot of LLC!).

That has been the issue we have seen the most with the lesser priced Giga AM3+ mobos since they came out. Such just seems to be part of the cheaper VRM. You can try changing the percentage of CPU_LLC if such is available in bios.
RGone...ster.

Alright, I seem to have found a happy zone for this thing. 4.5 ghz at 1.36 volts with LLC set to medium, which results in a much more sane 1.38 volts when LLC kicks in. Max temp after an hour of blend was 55, but usually stayed below that. More testing to do obviously, but seems like a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Back