• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avast antivirus was spying on you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Here's something interesting, I know most here wouldn't install these extensions in the first place but this was just the epitome of ironic when I read it.

We warned you at the beginning of the year that many of your browser extensions are spying on you, tracking what you are visiting, and even inserting ads into pages. These aren’t just no-name developers either: even Avast, one of the most trusted antivirus vendors was in on the game.

Full article:
http://www.howtogeek.com/199829/avast-antivirus-was-spying-on-you-with-adware-until-this-week/

its big business tracking/profiling for targeted adds and demographic info :)

in the long run marketing envisage adverts that change on the high street targeting the demographic that's likely to see them at that particular day/time etc.

its sad and amusing at times... you purchase something online like a teapot... next three weeks all the banner adds are for teapots :D

if you trashed banner ads then inet interactive would lose revenue ;)

maybe I should search for more illegal highs and hookers :rofl:

This is the reason why I use:
Adblock Plus, Flashblock, Ghostery, and NoScipt!

Back