• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4690k and x61 kraken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelsin

First time poster and learning overclocker.

After reviewing the internets, I set up my i5 4690k to 4.5Ghz @ 1.2V, 1.2V set in BIOS.

It's been running like this for about a day, playing some games and internet browsing, no issues.

I decided to do a Prime95 Small FFT test. To my surprise, it instantly jumped to 78-79 degrees celsius and remained there for the during of my test (about 5 minutes). It idles about 27-33 degrees with this overclock and gaming temps maxed about 60.

I thought it might of been a bit high with an x61 kraken.

Any input on this?

Build:
x61 kraken
intel i5 4690k
AMD R9 280x
Asus z97-a
G.skill ripjaw (4x4gb)

Those temps are fine. Prime tortures Haswell chips. It shouldn't be considered a realistic indicator of thermal performance.

Nice work on your first OC :)

It would help to know your ambient temperature, but regardless, it seems fine. Which version of P95 are you using as the latest gets things a lot hotter than previous tests.

Man I think this is really sad. Here I am hoping to cool my i7-5960X 8 core with same or similar cooler, but looks like it will be a fruitless effort.

The latest Prime 95 heats up Haswell so much due to the AVX stress. If you want to run prime95 without the extreme heat, I believe you need version 26.6 or might be earlier which doesn't have that component added, not sure of the exact version.

Back