• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or new rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At least one person clicked on this guys garbage in another thread and then commented on it. He probably got malware from it... Someone should track that down and inform him.

Ha...well at least you know it's clean, malwarebytes will sometimes grab things that my antivirus doesn't. :thup: now back to our regularly scheduled program. I7 2600k, 2700k or 3770k? :D

So have you settled on the 3770K then?

If I can find it cheap after I save up some $$ then yeah!
If it's cheaper for the older 2nd gen i7's 2600K or 2700K I'll go with one of those. (I seriously doubt it)

However, I'm also looking into the i5-3570K since it's an unlocked i5 and I really don't think I need an i7...

If I can find it cheap after I save up some $$ then yeah!
If it's cheaper for the older 2nd gen i7's 2600K or 2700K I'll go with one of those. (I seriously doubt it)

However, I'm also looking into the i5-3570K since it's an unlocked i5 and I really don't think I need an i7...

Ivybridge dude. Sandybridge is TOO old. No PCIE 3.0. Not worth it. If you think you're well off enough with an i5 get an i5. It'll certainly cost you less money.

Ivybridge dude. Sandybridge is TOO old. No PCIE 3.0. Not worth it. If you think you're well off enough with an i5 get an i5. It'll certainly cost you less money.

I think I'll go with the 3570K since it's a mere $250 on newegg.ca :)
Just need money now LOL

I see ebay.ca with 3570K's going for ~205 CAD typically
Even less if you bid one out low.

Yeah, I did do some quick snooping on fleabay last night. :drool:

Some sweet prices there actually :thup:
Thanks for the advice guys! :cool:

Definitely buy old parts used. Just make sure you don't buy the CPU from an extreme overclocker who was running 1.8V through it.

lol
What if I do the same? :D
Naw.

Oh! That reminds me!

I'll need a new cooler for a new CPU!
What do you guys think? Air or water? (AIO)

I'm thinking air 'cause it's cheaper :p

NHD15 matches a lot of 240mm AIO units for performance. If it won't fit on your board/in your case the NHD14 is almost as good.

I'll make it fit. That's the beauty of custom cases lol.
I can always cut a hole in the plexiglass top of my case to make room for a beefy air cooler.

Just a tad worried about starving that NHD15 for airflow as the mobo lays flat as opposed to vertically and my 270x is about ~4 inches away from the CPU...
Also I have a Corsair fan feeding cool air to the HDD bay - they do get quite warm....

Any good cooler like the stock Intel ones? (Just better of course :p )
If not, I'll make do :)

Pic of rig in spoiler if you need it

Is the first slot on your board an unused slot (ie, PCIE X1)? If so you can likely fit a D15. If not, get a D14.

No, there is no high performance part similar to the stock cooler. Not enough surface area in that small of a space.
Looking at your "cupboard case" :p I see nowhere that a sizeable (240-280mm) AIO unit could be installed.

Back