• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 5820k vs 4790k.....which one is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabby1019

Registered
So I will be using these CPUs for gaming and Photoshop and editing video, Streaming gameplay and things like that. I want to know which one will be best for what I'm doing and why.

This will boil down to the question can your photo and video editing software be able to utilize the 6c12t CPU, if so the 5820K hands down. If your software can not utilized these extra cores and threads you would be fine with a 4970k

For the gaming side of use the 4970K would also be a good choice. Right now you are looking at about $ 300.00 more for a x99 platform so if budget is a concern the z97 platform would be more economical.

However, depending on your upgrade cycle this could also be a deterring factor, if upgrading every gen or every other vs. every five years or so.
Meaning I personally believe software and games as time passes will be designed to utilize high core and thread count CPU's

I am thinking the writing is on the wall for gaming as well with both consuls sporting 8 core CPU's

Gabby, based on everything we've talked about you will be fine with the 4790K. Going to a 5820 between the CPU, board, and DDR4 is an extra $200-400. And I just don't know if it's worth it for you.
If you do REALLY heavy content creation and super heavy multitasking, maybe, but I don't think you do.

We've gone from $1000 to "money ain't a thing but a chicken wing". Don't buy unreasonably expensive parts you probably won't need.

Back