• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to FM socketed processors...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 860k is the newest of the three and 4 physical cores.

Also with the 860k it doesn't have as bad of heat issues like the 750 and 760 did.

yea I was wondering about that 32nm and 100 watt cpus with quite a few reviews abou over heating.
think a corsair H50 would be good enough to keep any of these cool at stock? I imagine its got to be better than a stock cooler

Honestly you'd be better off with the 212 evo than the h50. The h80i would be the smallest aio unit I'd go personally.

I've already got the h50, I picked it up clearance for I think it was $20 at worst buy...
still in the box, have had it for a while

The problem with buying according to price...

...is often you just get a cheap price and not much performance for even the cheap price.

I googled Corsair H50 vs Coolermaster 212 EVO and very interestingly, the odds on favorite was the CM 212 EVO. One item that came out pretty quickly was that due the size of the H50 it would be more loud than the CM 212 EVO not to mention if the cpu were pushed the effeciency of the H50 was not up to CM 212 EVO.

Then what hits most of us is that going to any water removes air flow across the NB area and the VRM circuit of the mobo and brings a heating there that is not so good.

All of that said and understood by many of us...you bought it and whether you use the H50 is up to you. At even $20.00 the H50 would not be a deal for me against the actual cooling of the CM 212 EVO. But the H50 might meet your standards and only you can determine that reality. Good luck.
RGone...ster.

Also along with the H50 and any of the cheaper AIO units you will have to pay attention to possible pump failure, where as with a good air unit that could perform better you don't have to worry about a pump.

to answer your question OP yes, the H50 will be plenty to cool the cpu's stock. though dont plan on overclocking.

it can be easier to use than a 212 as well, it all depends on the circumstances.

Wasn't planning on overclocking at all with it attached. It's going in a prodigy m case with one of those processors up top or a G3258

Wasn't planning on overclocking at all with it attached. It's going in a prodigy m case with one of those processors up top or a G3258

g3258 can probably run 4.5ghz tbh lol they can run quite high on stock cooling ;)

I thought that the only real core quads are Kabini. 860K is steamroller so is based on two 2 core modules just cache is shared in a different way than in older series. I can be wrong but after quick look at the architecture I can't see big difference to richland.
If you don't want to OC, keep lower temps and good performance then i3 is good option. Less heat, less power and higher performance than AMD in similar price.

The 860 is based on the steamroller core Ray so basically just an updated/tweaked Piledriver.

It sort of depends on how you define physical cores. These later generation AMD CPUs are somewhere in between as I understand it because of shared resources.

well I am glad I asked, so kinda hyper threading with out actually being hyper threading with funky physical cache sharing tweaks?

It sort of depends on how you define physical cores. These later generation AMD CPUs are somewhere in between as I understand it because of shared resources.

In theory these are physical cores but inside 2 modules. In real they're scalling not like real cores but like Intel CPUs with HT. The only AMD series based on real cores that are scalling good are Kabini but AMD has only low clock chips. I wish to see 3.5GHz+ Kabini with more PCIe lanes. At 2GHz Athlon 5150 was performing in some tests like 3GHz+ FX-6300. If they could reach Intel's clock on Kabini or similar chip then it would be great CPU.

I'm not sure if it's cache speed in higher APU/FX or something else but on AMD you clearly see access time/latency issues. Generally large cache = slower access.

The 860k is 2 modules.

The IPC on the 860k is quite high but not quite as high as haswell.

Kabini uses cores rather than multicore modules.

Kabini has an IPC approaching haswell but the clocks are lower because it is targeted at the low end market.

the pentium can only run 2 threads. no hyper threading. The 860k can run 4 threads (but only 2 floating point ops at once max) and it is unlocked and can also be overclocked.

If you run your 860k at 4.5ghz it is still going to outperform the g3258 in multithreaded apps or in many apps that can be run on different cores.

if the price were the same...

A8 6600K or 860K?

remember very mild gaming if any at all, probably no overclock until it gets old. 2133 ram to go with it

Back