• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LF Quiet PSU that was reviewed and linked here (or recommend a quiet one)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

In trying to quiet down my system, I now find the PSU fan is the loudest component at about 44-45db at the grill, while all other components are <40db. It's a Cougar CMX 700W (purchased here from one of the PSU reviewers) and I am unsure if its possible to slow the fan down with a simple resistor. If I cannot, I'd like to get a different PSU to quiet the system down even further.

I'm trying to find the link to a fairly recent (this year I believe) PSU review that was posted here, but I cannot locate it. All I can remember, is that the PSU had a switch that would put the fan in 2 different settings. A "silent" setting that would power the fan off below a certain temperature and only turn it on when it was above the set temp (I think it was something high like 50C), and the second position would use a normal fan speed profile, but would not power off the fan.

If that particular PSU cannot be located, what decent alternatives could I get? My system specs are in the sig, and currently I am not doing any overclocking and running everything at stock. My main priority right now is trying to get the system as quiet as possible, so I'd prefer to get a silent PSU, one that would have the fan off till the PSU reached a certain temperature (as in the review I'm looking for).

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

No recommendations? The PSU calcs are all pointing at me needing around 600W minimum (700W preferred for headroom to overclock), but I can't find much about any fanless/silent (fan off till X temp reached) PSUs in that range.

I did, and I believe it was one of his reviews of a PSU with the switched fan that I am looking for, but cannot find. It would fit my needs perfectly, as the fan would for the most part stay off.

Finally found it! It was the EVGA Supernova G2 750W psu reviewed earlier this year. Should be silent most of the time when my system is idle or I'm watching movies.

[edit] Just my luck. I finally found the PSU, checked on Newegg while I was out and saw it on sale for about $70 (with MIR). By the time I got home and was able to get on Newegg from my PC, it was sold out. Every other trust worthy site still has it for around $120+. :bang head
So I went for the 850W version on Newegg, which is on sale for $125 with a $30 MIR and free shipping. So in the end, it'll be a little less then $100 for it. More wattage then I should ever need, but this should mean the fan would turn on rarely in the unit (till I start overclocking again). [/edit]

Last edited:
Back