• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New member, and MSI motherboard question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gremmin

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a MSI 970 gaming motherboard, and 2 OCZ vector 150 ssd's. I am trying to set them up in raid 0.

According to my manual I need to change my sata mode to raid mode, and then once I save and restart ctrl+F should get me into the raid option rom utility. This is where I am having some issues, my computer doesn't prompt me to hit ctrl+F and the only thing that happens is it types f.

so far I have tried switching which sata ports I am plugged into.
Tried formatting my drives, tried them as unallocated space.
Sent in a tech support ticket and the rep told me to disable full screen in the boot bios and to make sure boot mode is set to Legacy + UEFI

Still getting nothing and I don't really feel like waiting another 24 hours to get a response from these guys.

does anyone have any ideas? Or run into this problem before? Or know if they have tech support that I can call, I didn't see a phone number on their website?

U look like new member to the forums. WELCOME.

1. Few of us if any that I actually know of are using any MSI AM3+ mobo. We had one user in the last week with the GD65 AM3+ board and he is getting ready to buy an Asus CHV-z board because of issues. No not related to Raid.

2. AMD and raid can be a little wonky for sure. Are you going to use the two SSDs in raid 0 as your booting drive setup? If so ensure they are on the ports labled as the first and second port.

3. Until you have a drive assigned at Cont + F, the screen time for any prompt to display is nearly zero on any AM3+ mobo i have seen.

4. I begin to tap the Control + F key at the normal time I would expect to enter the bios and do so probably 5 times at least before it actually goes into the AMD Raid Gui. You must ensure the Contr key is depressed ahead of the F key or only an F will be registered.
RGone...

Thank you RGone
Yes I am trying to run the 2 ssd for booting and to hold a game or 2, currently I have them plugged into the sata 5/6 ports because the hard drive cage gets in the way of port 1/2. I could try taking apart the cage so it fits or I might have to find some new sata cables that are more pliable. Once I can get them into port 1/2 ill try your advice on the ctrl+F.

Thanks again

Well you can use those later ports but for booting or if you want to use an Optical Device which should be on port 5 or 6, it is always better to have the booting drives at the first of the drive order.

I had to get pretty creative to make the mounting of my two SSDs into my AzzA case and it is very tight down at the Sata ports for sure as they stick out the side of the board and not up off the board. Lots of traffic in that area with the 3 or 4 regular HDDs in their cage.

I found I had to number the ports on the mobo and then because of a bass-akward way of Asus actually assigning the port numbers...I had to hook up all the ports closest the board first and then those right on top of the other ports and further from the mobo itself. Numbering the ports was a huge plus by the time I got 6 drives > 4 in two raid arrays and another HDD and an optical drive all hooked up to ports.
RGone...ster.

Update.
I took apart the hard drive cage so I could use port 1/2. Still nothing.
I went back into the bios and had to change the board sata raid rom to Legacy rom.
I was finally able to enter the raid utility and when I got to windows install the ssd's didn't show up.
All i had to do from there was download the raid drivers and install it.

as for the hdd cage, its got this plastic tray on top of it that is supposed to house 2 2.5" drives, but its pointless with this mother board because its less than an inch away from the ports. I can probably just cut off the tab that gets in the way of the sata cables and I can probably put it back together.
thank you RGone for the help

Back