• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX 4100 MHz unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it's freezing then you either need more voltage (which will make more heat) or lower the frequency.

You might also try bumping up the CPU/NB voltage a tad.

Hm.
I wondered about that some. I wasn't sure about turning that up.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. If I am stuck at 4515 though, it's still not a bad overclock.

No, not a bad overclock. Kind of what we usually see on good air/low end water.

No, not a bad overclock. Kind of what we usually see on good air/low end water.

I got it up to 4615, but after running Prime95 for a long period of time, two cores drop off.
I also got a little hot, but not anywhere near as hot as some temps that I've saw in the past. 63c.
So it is mostly stable, other than that.

AMD FX 8320 It's me again, now I am trying to get full stability at 4551

Was trying for 4600, but every time I have it set that high, I freeze up after awhile. I can not even guarantee I won't become unstable now.
Why on earth I even wanna go that fast, IDK.
I believe I may have achieved it, but I won't get my hopes up too high just yet.

If you needed 1.41volts for 4.5, then you're about done. Make sure your ram isn't in "auto", thay can be a huge culprit a lot of the time.

If you needed 1.41volts for 4.5, then you're about done. Make sure your ram isn't in "auto", thay can be a huge culprit a lot of the time.

I don't have it up that high, but it seems to be somewhat stable here. I did disable a bunch of things in bios, which I hadn't before. Maybe that helped? I am running 1.392 at max. Max temp, 63c. It went down to 56c. All cores still running, none have dropped off, and have been running Prime95 since my last post.

You're up at the top end of the temp range for the CPU, that in and of itself can cause instability for long term usage.

I don't know. Scared no one would pay it any attention?

You got me!?
You're going to get help from the same people in both threads. You're better off, when everyone knows the history of what has been going on. It makes it easier to help you.

Was trying for 4600, but every time I have it set that high, I freeze up after awhile. I can not even guarantee I won't become unstable now.
Why on earth I even wanna go that fast, IDK.
I believe I may have achieved it, but I won't get my hopes up too high just yet.

SO where is the stuff we use to look at your system from way off out here where we are.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...ster.

Merged your dupliate threads.

Both threads are about overclocking and stability. Please keep similar problems to one thread. This helps those helping you by not duplicating efforts and keeps all the answers in one thread.

HI OP,

first of all, sorry for my bad language, as its not my mother tongue.

Had a similar issue with my Asus Sabertooth with way too high temps. Reason was the autovoltage setting of the NB Vcore in BIOS! Just try to change it to lets say 1.175 - 1.2V - which still gives you a good change to run the Northbridge with 2.4Ghz instead of 2.2..

best regards
Laggy

Thank You All.
I believe I hit my max at 4515. that's fine by me too, as it's not a bad overclock.

Something in software was causing freez ups. So, I have no idea if 4500 is my max or not. What ever it was, was causing freezups at normal speed.

Got it sorted out now. I wiped the drive, and started from scratch.

Its all up to you anywho in the long run. Test and tune and Trial and error until you get it done. Still going strong I see.
RGone...

Its all up to you anywho in the long run. Test and tune and Trial and error until you get it done. Still going strong I see.
RGone...

True.
And I found my main stability issues. DOH! My system was being funny having the same TV hooked up twice. Now it's stable, even though I am over that 4500 area. 59c was the hottest I got running prime95, into hours. Running at 4560. 4.56GHz. Seems stable where I am, might just try a little more. ;-)

Most of us that have overclocked for years and use our rigs in an overclocked state...usually get P95 Blend mode stable and then back off 50 or 100 Mhz for insurance. No amount of stress testing is 100% accurate. So we get our measure of perceived safety and then back it down a little to take care of that percentage of incidents that P95 Blend is never able to unearth since 2 hours might seem stable alright but what about 8 hours? You see the logic? Hehehe. Let me put it this way. I am fully able to run 80Mhz faster than my daily clock of the rig am on now. I run without that 80Mhz since I do not want some odd crap hitting me when I go into "edit family video mode". Just FYI. We are always talking of overclocking but never how to actually use the thing afterwards. I would never want to think I had my shett pushed up against the bumper stop and hope it would stay good for 24/7 type use. YMMV.
RGone...

Back