• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I linked it in the sticky thread so people have that opportunity. We are a savvy group of computer guys and can handle it. If not, ask questions.

Upgrading to Windows 10 on pirated versions won't get you a valid license

Anyway....back to Windows 10 ;)

Also, huge news:
http://arstechnica.com/information-...rstechnica/index+(Ars+Technica+-+All+content)

All copies of Windows7 (and higher) whether they are genuine or pirated will be up-gradable to Windows 10 for free.

Apparently not:

Here’s Microsoft full statement:

The consumer free upgrade offer for Windows 10 applies to qualified new and existing devices running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Some editions are excluded from the consumer free upgrade — including Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to other Windows 10 enterprise offerings.

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

The "poor" people should be able to get a free or almost free copy with a reduced utility set, there was already some starter version of Windows, surely the correct way in order to prevent those malware flood going out of "non genuine Windows". A basic system shouldnt be a matter of who can afford it or not... but the truly premium stuff should be reserved to those that can or will pay.

Im not a big fan of biometric features, it may only be used for the truly dirty stuff (i wont go into details here, it will open pandoras box). A device wont be more secure because of it... such a foolish thing, not even the best Antivirus can avoid any odd from happening nor the best system ever made. The "more personal" stuff was already a big hassle in the "glorious" Windows 8, without creating several accounts and the input of personal infos the system wont even start to work... this is just outright hilarious and i wont support such a approach, the others may do it and thats theyr freedom i guess at the cost of my freedom, well thanks. The only "secure" stuff is sending the PC to the moon and destroy any possible connections, even the non wired ones (else someone may even be able to crack it between earth and moon... who knows).

Last edited:
Anyway....back to Windows 10 ;)

Just one question and back on topic does a pirated version really cause all them issues

According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

Apparently not:

I mean if that was the case then pirate wouldn't bother.

On topic I would like to know the versions that are coming out will they be doing the same as they previously did HOME EDITION, PROFESSIONAL EDITION & ULTIMATE EDITION

It sounds hilarious sorry... in term a non genuine version is becoming a valid license, then a aweful lot of people simply may get a non genuine OS and then upgrading it for valid license,... either the stuff is valid or not valid, there is not some "upgrade to valid stuff", goes against any common sense. The thing that matters most is to give everyone a fair chance in order to become a genuine OS without having to pay a fortune (maybe 10-20 USD for the starter Windows).

It sounds hilarious sorry... in term a non genuine version is becoming a valid license, then a aweful lot of people simply may get a non genuine OS and then upgrading it for valid license,... either the stuff is valid or not valid, there is not some "upgrade to valid stuff", goes against any common sense. The thing that matters most is to give everyone a fair chance in order to become a genuine OS without having to pay a fortune (maybe 10-20 USD for the starter Windows).

i bet microsoft is banking on app store sales ;) people are gonna pirate it either way.

Well i think, they can even make a free version available to those that cant or wont pay. However, they need to use or install the "App store" or other "shopping/advertisement features" which will mean that those versions are somewhat "advertisement-sustained" versions in term of cost. In that term it could be a totally unlocked version but without the freedom in order to remove or disable stuff such as the "App store", so in that therm there is simply lesser custom but apart from that almost fully functional with very few cuts. In term they want a full custom, no App store and no biometric/account or whatever,... then they simply will have to pay, so there is the possibility to give a bonus to those that can or will pay. Finally, in that term custom is having a price and thats how it should be. I dont care the price, the important thing is to give everyone the options to have as much custom as possible... even if the "full custom" would have a price of 200 USD.

I dunno how it finally will turn out but there is lot of possibilitys to fight way to many issues and even the "non genuine count" could drastically be reduced by certain approaches. The only stuff that wont work is to hand out "free versions", while giving no real benefit to those that wont have a "free version"; Everything got a price and even free is never free. Those that use a non genuine OS they will have to pay by a increased risk of malware... and i am almost certain, almost any non genuine OS got a malware somewhere, so there is a price... the price is decreased security. So i really dont care whatever the people are using... nothing is ever free and custom should have a price as well. I just find it important for everyone to realize, getting something "for free" in life is a fairy tale created somewhere inside someones head, every action we do is providing certain costs and risks, thats reality. Regarding Ubuntu OS, nope its not free... people have to fight for the OS as well... for the right to exist, the OS need support, it wont just exist in someones face without anyone moving a finger. ;)

Last edited:
Will you have to install Win 10 over an existing Win 7 installation, or will you be able to do a clean install and just key in the Win 7 COA for an upgrade?

Key to increasing legitimate sales is to have promotional offers that are affordable and people will pay.
It's not cool when Windows costs $299 or when an exorbitant portion of the pie chart of the entire device profits goes to Microsoft, with hardware manufacturers getting only scraps...

Windows 8 had some excellent promos when it first came out... It's interesting how those promos did not last, so I would get Windows 10 straight away, they are bound to have similar promotional offers. Not only was the pricing lower but you could get Media Center as a free upgrade for a limited time.

I am guessing Media Center will continue to be a paid add-on, does anyone know?
[Media Center is important because it is one of the best ways to manage recordings if you connect your TV cable signal to your PC... Most third party DVR solutions are not as good as Microsoft's own Windows Media Center which was free in Windows 7 but not free in Windows 8 (Microsoft wants $10 to unlock the Media Center on Windows 8).]

Will you have to install Win 10 over an existing Win 7 installation, or will you be able to do a clean install and just key in the Win 7 COA for an upgrade?

I hope both options are available. That is an excellent question that needs clarifying beyond doubt.
Thing to remember, judging by Windows 8.1 upgrade experience, even going from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 doesn't result in what you would expect out of a Service Pack - which is why they didn't call it a Service Pack.

Service Pack would just upgrade Windows - but 8.1, and I am guessing 10, would behave the same, really resets pretty much everything so I would opt for a clean install since when I realized I would have to re-do all the Windows settings after going from 8.0 to 8.1 - I opted to just stay with 8.0 and do a clean install once 10 comes out.

Please post if you find out about the installation process. Worst case scenario I would install Windows 8 fresh then immediately install Windows 10 over it...

I've got 8 Win 7 COAs when I was still a college student. I'd just as soon do a clean install and just key in the Win 7 COA and be done with it. I understand that COA will most likely get flagged by MS so it can't be used again to reinstall Win 7. We've got a year to figure out if we really like Win 10 before converting all my family member's primary PCs.

Since Windows 10 User Interface (as well as Windows 8) can be made to look identical to Windows 7 "in 30 seconds" ;), there should be no question on what to do if installing clean, if you have a free choice between Windows 7 and 10. At the very least, Windows 10 with Classic Shell can be equal to snappier Windows 7... but not enough snappier to justify abandoning a fully functional Windows 7 with all the programs and settings set to just like you like them... to justify abandoning a fully working Windows 7, there would have to be a new feature not found in Windows 7... So what again, are they going to be offering that is new?

Cortana speech module certainly sounds like a futuristic feature that would appeal to people, as long as it ends up actually working...
I think people should posts again a feature or two found in Windows 10 that we would actually really use, that is not found in Windows 7?

And what did we say is the latest status on that new File System that was originally supposed to ship with Windows 8?

You can do a clean install. I'll go find the link to where I read it. It was in the "Windows Insider Program" (Windows 10 TP)forums.

It was also said that you don't have to reinstall Windows 7 for the final version of Win 10...We can install the final over Win 10 TP.

They are indicating that the preview build will be considered a valid build to upgrade to final version. In which case Win 7/8 will not be needed at all...

I just hope I can then save that to Media so I can use it for future upgrade's or new builds.

I have found the TP totally stable as an everyday build. I can see why they bumped the release date up...

I don't think a link will work, since you need to be signed in to see the WIP. Here is a quote that I think answers most of the question.

The free upgrade to Windows 10 later this year only applies to computers with Windows 7 or 8.1 installed. The distribution will be done through Windows Update.
The only way you will be able to achieve a clean install is to do a Reset after upgrading to Windows 10.
Windows 7 or 8/8.1 will need to be installed though to facilitate the installation of the free Windows 10.
Unless you purchase retail media or Microsoft provides the option to create refresh/reset media.

Last edited:
In that case, what would be the difference between Fresh Install of Windows 8.1 activate then immediately install Windows 10 vs. Fresh Install of Windows 10?

No leftover files from the old OS? Microsoft has been bragging about how much better their upgrade to Win10 is, but I would still greatly prefer a full install.

So in other words, MSucks new os is freee! to all. How stupid are they? I will pirate it before I 'upgrade' for "free". But that's besides the point. If it has the same crap that came with 8, I will never install it. At least not untill all the 8 crap is completely gutted. This includes store, metro, and all the social spyware garbage thrown in. And NO WAY IN HELL am I going to EVER login using a hotmail/ms acct (that optionally asks for a phone#-yeah right). PERIOD. If users wanted a touchscreen OS by default, ts's would be the default monitor purchase. When exactly was the last time you heard someone say, "Gee, I need a new 24" ts for my desktop/gaming rig"?.
Please excuse my anti-ms tirade. The only reason I still run it is because linux has video driver issues and it simply can't handle huge video files as well as a windows os, not excluding the thousand different os options choice. Maybe things have changed or maybe I'm not running the right hardware,idk.

Well there's got to be a way to do a clean install on a blank disk of win10 as an upgrade over win7/8/8.1.

I doubt it with pirating it. If 8 forces you to open a ms acct just to login I find it highly unlikely 10 will simply allow for a clean install without wanting your dna and a working cell phone#. I think it will be similar to upgrading from a working session. I'll run 7 till the wheels fall off if I have to. Plus I can always go linux and run msuck in a vm, now that I have the hardware that can do it without stumbling. Even so, I always wait a while before trying on a new msuck os. That way I can google what my options are and what they aren't.

This includes store, metro, and all the social spyware garbage thrown in. And NO WAY IN HELL am I going to EVER login using a hotmail/ms acct (that optionally asks for a phone#-yeah right). PERIOD.

I bought Windows 8 on the day it came out, I tried all their native features for a month and after that, with help of Classic Shell:
1. Never saw or used MS Store.
2. Never saw or used Metro.
3. You need to pay attention and use links Microsoft provided that makes it possible to use Windows 8 WITHOUT giving them any emails or logging in.
For Microsoft Store you will have to log in but you said you don't want the store so great, no email, no phone number, no info necessary.

So all these things can be avoided 100%, and easily.

If you do not know how to use Windows 8, without giving Microsoft any email account, without logging in, without ever seeing metro, without ever seeing MS Store, start a thread and people will help you do it. You should not abandon a perfectly working Windows 7 but if you are doing a clean install, Windows 8 user interface can be identical to Windows 7, making it unnecessary to use that as a reason to give up minor advantages that Windows 8 surely comes with... Windows 8 is definitely snappier on an identical dual boot install when compared to Windows 7.

All the reasons you gave against Windows 8 are valid, but can be EASILY avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back