• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be epic! I doubt that would happen, because that would mean that anyone could freely copy it and give it away, devastating MS's DRM model. But it would open up a whole new world for coders, developers and tinkerers.

Open source doesn't have to be entirely open, while being free. They can still have certain parts closed, and their real money maker software like Office for instance, also closed and on a subscription via their store.

So this free 10 upgrade...

Is it a pure "upgrade" only? Or is it a full version 7 and 8 users will have access to? I'm not sold on upgrading versions of windows. A full install would be more ideal.

Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 – The Power of Windows…Multiplied

April 16, 2015 by Richie Fang

We know there’s a vocal set of people who just love virtual desktops. Having desktops beyond the limitations of a physical display is a powerful way to organize and quickly access groups of windows. Virtual desktops aren’t new. In fact, Xerox PARC created one of the earliest virtual desktop experiences called Rooms back in the 1980s and subsequently made a version available for Windows 3.x. Microsoft offered the Virtual Desktop Manager as part of the Windows XP PowerToys and a little while later released the Sysinternals Desktops add-on which enabled similar functionality. Many other OSes and third-party utilities have also embraced the power of virtual desktops. Given the growing popularity of this organizational tool, we decided to build a native virtual desktop experience directly into Windows 10.

Image1a-1024x645.jpg

Goals

When our team set out to build virtual desktops into Windows 10 we first took the time to understand how different people approach organization. For instance, we know that there are “filers” who like to separate things into subsets and then there are “pilers” who prefer to tackle tasks in a single group. We see this regularly with the way people handle email and directory structures for files. The same approaches also apply to open windows on a desktop. For those of you who like to organize your windows, we want to make sure that we offer the right experience to create and manage these groups. Here are some high-level goals we identified:

1. Give you more desktop space to group related windows

2. Help you quickly locate and switch to any window or group of windows

3. Let you easily re-organize your groups and move windows as tasks evolve

4. Keep you in control of the degree of separation between your grouped windows

Design

To add a new desktop simply click the task view button on your taskbar and click the “new desktop” button. Just like how you can run as many application windows as you like, there’s also no limit to how many desktops you can create. I like to run my work email and Office apps on the first desktop and open my personal browsing on my second desktop. You may find the need to have more desktops…the possibilities are endless.

Read more: Here

Holy smokes!
Microsoft developers recognize that a single approach is not universal and are giving people options to choose what they like instead of having us hack the OS just to have options? They must have hired new people... this is great. :)

This effectively means free updates for several years to come. They really want us all moved to Windows 10 asap...

I read this 3 times with the same look that's on your avatar. Are we gonna cloud our operating systems soon?

What was so great about multiple desktops again?

Still not likeing the layout style. Too "Metro" still. Hope themes / classic shell can fix that.

Just installed this on a Nokia 635 W8 phone. Pretty simple to do actually. My biggest roadblock was remembering my Microsoft password lol.

Phone Name: Nokia RM-975-1020
OS Version (Fast update option): Windows Phenom 10.0.12534.0
Device Version: Windows Phone 10.0
Platforms Win32NT
CLR Version: 4.0.22401.0
Silverlight Version: 6.7.50308.0
Firmware Version: 01061.00074.14391.37104
Hardware Version: 3.2.1.0
Total Memory 393MB
Available storage: 2.03GB
Screen resolution: 480x800 (WVGA)

I can't really tell much difference from W8 to W10 on this Nokia 635. Gotta give it back to my son and see what he thinks of it as it was his old phone. It's not a fast phone or anything, but if something is changed or acts funny he can let me know bout it.

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 now available

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 now available

April 22, 2015 by Gabe Aul

Hi everyone,

Today we are releasing a new Technical Preview build for PCs – 10061. This build will be available to the Fast ring, and will be delivered via Windows Update. You can wait for your PCs normal installation time for Windows Updates and it will install automatically, or you can go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Updates and click the “Check for updates” button.

If you’re in the Slow ring, we made the decision not to push 10049 out to you because of the bug with long upgrade times caused by installing all Language Packs. We’ll evaluate how 10061 goes in the Fast ring before deciding whether to push it out to Slow as well. The Language Pack issue is a good example of our approach to the Fast/Slow rings for the Windows Insider Program, and why we have two rings.

For Fast ring Insiders who installed 10049, we recommend that you follow these steps to reclaim storage space from the extra Language Pack installs.

Here is what’s new in this build

New Mail and Calendar apps: These new apps bring improved performance and a familiar three-pane email UI, with a toggle to quickly move between your email and calendar. Mail includes customizable Swipe Gestures, letting you swipe right or left to take actions like delete, flag, move or mark as read/unread. Also check out the new email authoring experience. Mail leverages the familiar and rich capability of Word to that allows you to easily insert tables, add pictures and use bullets and color to your text. Both the new Mail and Calendar apps support Office 365, Exchange, Outlook.com, Gmail, IMAP, POP and other popular accounts.

Start, Taskbar, and Action Center improvements: This build introduces the new black system theme across the Start menu, Taskbar, and Action Center. The Start menu and Taskbar now have transparency and you can also resize the Start menu. We’ve also enabled support for AutoColor which pulls the primary color from your desktop background. In the Settings app under Personalization, you can adjust the color of Start, Taskbar, and Action Center as well as transparency. Check these settings out and let us know what you think. And based on your feedback, we have moved the power button to the bottom left from the top right of the Start menu to make it more accessible.

Continuum improvements: The Taskbar is now more optimized for tablets. Entering Tablet Mode causes the Start button, Cortana, and the Task View buttons to all grow in size and space out to be more touchable. Items in the Notification area also widen to improve touchability. Also, pinned and running apps are removed by default to reduce clutter and simplify the experience. Start and Task View remain available for launching and switching. If you still prefer to see apps on your taskbar, there is an option under Tablet Mode in Settings to turn them back on. We also now offer a setting to boot directly into Tablet Mode. For tablets under 10 inches, this is the default behavior.

Task View improvements: We’ve made several visual updates to Task View. We’ve refined the window icons, the close buttons, and the thumbnails. These improvements also apply to Alt+Tab and Snap Assist. Task View gets a new icon on the Taskbar too.

Virtual Desktop improvements: You can create as many Virtual Desktops as you’d like! When you hit the limit of your display, a new overflow experience now lets you access any one of your desktops. Also, don’t forget that we are still eager to hear your feedback to determine the default behavior of the Taskbar across desktops.

Here are some issues we fixed in this build

--We have fixed the issue where Indexing of new email in Outlook was not working.
--We have fixed the issue with Hyper-V preventing you from enabling it.
--Visual Studio will no longer crash when creating a new Universal app project.
--We fixed a few issues in Project Spartan. You can now double-click on the titlebar to maximize. We have also made some tweaks to the alignment of the Favorites Bar so that the text and icons no longer appear partially below the bottom of the Favorites Bar.

Here are some known issues for this build

--We know this one will be a bit painful but there is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won’t launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access.
--The Windows Store Beta (grey tile) and Project Spartan get unpinned after upgrading. You can re-pin them to your Taskbar from All apps on your Start menu.
--The version of the Mail and Calendar apps included in this build (17.4008.42281.0) have a known issue that causes every typed letter to appear twice. Which might be funny if it weren’t so irritating. We have fixed this issue with updated versions of the apps (17.4016.42291.0) available in the Windows Store Beta (grey tile). If you don’t open the Mail and Calendar apps within the first 15 minutes after logging in to your device for the first time after upgrading and your device is connected to the Internet, the apps should update automatically. You can also go into the Store Beta and check for updates manually at any time.
--Cortana will highlight things it will be able to help users with, but some of these features are not yet implemented and we are working to deliver them soon.
--There is a known issue where you might see a black screen with only your mouse cursor during login/logout. We have a fix for this coming via WU.
--Downloading music in the Xbox Music and Music Preview apps is currently broken. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
--When you minimize an app playing audio, it may stop playing once its minimized.
-- In Project Spartan, no selection highlight appears when selecting text in the address box. You can right click in the address box to cut/copy/paste and it will work as expected. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
--Magnifier does not work when you put it into docked mode. We will also have a fix for this coming via WU.

Conclusion

Thank you for your continued help as Windows Insiders and we hope you enjoy this build. As always, keep the problem reports and suggestions coming by using the Windows Feedback app.

Don’t forget that next week is our //build/ 2015 conference which should be exciting! If you’re attending the conference be sure to say hello if you see me.

Thanks,
g

Source

New Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10074 now available

New Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10074 now available
April 29, 2015 by Gabe Aul

Hi everyone from the Build 2015 conference happening right now in San Francisco! If you haven’t already, check out Terry’s blog post about all the Windows 10 announcements we made today. If you’re at Build this week or at Ignite in Chicago next week – keep your eye out for me and say hello!

Today we have a new build available to both the Fast and Slow ring for Windows Insiders (that means we’ll have ISOs available too for those of you who like a clean install.) With this build we continue to evolve the features and design for Windows 10, and you’ll see a lot of subtle changes and improvements, many of which were influenced directly by Windows Insiders. One of those changes is the reintroduction of some Aero Glass elements in the UI, but there are many more things throughout the product as well. We continue to use your feedback directly day to day in how our feature teams operate, and we hope that Windows 10 will be the best version of Windows yet because you had a direct hand in its creation.

One other subtle change that you’ll notice is that we’ve changed how we talk about the builds from “Technical Preview” to “Insider Preview” to reflect the importance of the Windows Insider community in how we’re building Windows 10.

And speaking of Windows Insiders, we were super excited to host the 10 winners of our Windows Insiders to Campus contest in Redmond last week and hear their thoughts on the program and the product. We’ll share more on that soon.
Here is what’s new

Some of the things that Joe demoed on stage earlier today during the Build keynote are not yet included in this build and will be in future builds. But we still have a bunch of new stuff for you to check out!

Read More...

Microsoft has released another Windows 10 build for the Windows Insider program and this release brings with it several new features that were shown off at Build 2015; the build number on this release is 10074.

To upgrade to the new build, follow the steps below in your current install of Windows 10 to grab the bits or you can get the ISO from the links below.

--Click on the start menu and in the search box type 'Windows Update'
--Choose 'Windows Update' from the list on the left if it is not already highlighted.
--Click on the 'Check' now.
--Download the new build

After the build downloads, your machine will begin to install 10074. If you run into any issues while installing the OS, make sure to let us know in the comments below.

Download 10074 x86 | x64

Source

I have had 10041 on a VM. When I tried to update, it blew up. :(

It didn't just blow up the VM, but it pegged my host OS and caused a BSoD :mad:

So now I'll have to do a fresh VM install of this newest build lol.

I really need to build a dual socket Xeon workstation with gobs of RAM asap.

Last edited:
I have had 10041 on a VM. When I tried to update, it blew up. :(

It didn't just blow up the VM, but it pegged my host OS and caused a BSoD :mad:

So now I'll have to do a fresh VM install of this newest build lol.

I really need to build a dual socket Xeon workstation with gobs of RAM asap.

You know thoes 1366 setups are calling you name !

Aaah Betas.
Somehow the final version ends up installing just right, May is upon us, and AMD CEO said Win10 final is scheduled for late July... so a couple of months to go, maybe three?!
Here's hoping... :D

I have to say, Windows 10 is a FANTASTIC OS. I've been using the technical preview for months now. I like every single thing about Windows 10. Except for one thing, The start menu. Mainly because we still have this apps crap that nobody ever uses except on cell phones and tablets (And I don't even use apps on my smartphone. Not even the browser or youtube.) It's a desktop OS, NOT a tablet OS so why do we need all of these stupid retarded apps that no desktop user gives a crap about? We don't care about easy access to youtube or bing, or we don't care about your random app that does "X". Microsoft didn't learn it's lesson enough in windows 8?

A majority of the reason desktop users complained was BECAUSE of the apps crap. Yeah, we didn't have a start menu. Yeah, it was annoying to have to push the windows key every time we wanted to use our computer and scroll through that crappy interface or have to type every single thing that we wanted to use. But, a majority of the reason Windows 8 didn't sell was nobody really wanted or used apps. We just want the same start menu that has been awesome since windows 95. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If this was an OS for cellphones or Tablets I can understand but, it's supposed to be a OS for a desktop.

I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 more than likely since, it's a fantastic OS but, we shouldn't have to download a poorly coded second party program just because microsuck doesn't want to stick with what works and wants to make extra revenue from apps that nobody ever uses.

What was so great about multiple desktops again?

Still not likeing the layout style. Too "Metro" still. Hope themes / classic shell can fix that.

i see someone who has never played with linux before, its very handy if you do much multi tasking :)

as for too metro... it has a normal start menu..............................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back