• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering of purchasing a retail version of Windows 10 64-bit Professional and not doing the upgrades. Still not sure if I did upgrade if I'd lose my other OSs.

My question would be if they are all going to run as OEM versions or will there be full version so I can install it on how many machines I want.

I'm considering of purchasing a retail version of Windows 10 64-bit Professional and not doing the upgrades. Still not sure if I did upgrade if I'd lose my other OSs.

My question would be if they are all going to run as OEM versions or will there be full version so I can install it on how many machines I want.

That's the question they won't answer.

Official -- Build 10162

Apparently Gabe has decided to push the button early, as build wasn't to be available to the slow ring until next week...

From July 2nd:
We haven’t forgotten about Windows Insiders in the Slow ring either – we’re looking at Build 10162 as a candidate and unless we see any issues emerge in the Fast ring we’ll look to publish it to Slow (with ISOs) early next week.

Now:
Slow.png

Download Official Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO -- Build 10162

As stated earlier new Product Key required:

Product key: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV

Full version.png

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

-----------

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Last edited:
That's great to hear.

Question to you guys on what paths I should take.

I have an Windows 7 OEM and Windows 8 Full Version. Should I skip the upgrade on the Win7 OEM and use the Windows 8 Full version on my second machine as I will be already using it on my main or upgrade on both OSs?

Myself, i would use your copy Windows 7 to upgrade to windows 10...

Your copy Windows 8 is newer (obviously) and therefore will be a viable alternative for longer. ie updates, service packs etc

Also your copy of 7 is OEM. Less of a loss in my eyes. Do note however:
OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

I'm sure after spending some real time with the final/RTM version of Windows 10 your decision will be an easy one. There is also no rush to make up your mind

What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Another point to keep in mind:

Microsoft has said multiple times that Windows will be moving at a faster cadence than in the past and they are already working on a release for 2016. The codename for the project is 'Redstone'

Consider it Service pack 1....Everything that is not making it in under the wire now will ("should") be available in time for you to sample and test before you run out of time to take advantage of Microsoft's free upgrade offer.

All above simply, imo :thup:

Yeah. I'll just use the upgrade for Windows 7 OEM since I won't be able to use it again after that. I have Windows 8 FULL retail which I will also use to convert to Windows 10 Pro Full so I can just rely on that key for any future PC. That makes more sense.

-Thanks Cuda

Didn't see this before Silver...:sly:

Anyway, you set it. :thup:

Settings-->Network & Internet-->Advanced Options-->Set as Metered Connection

View attachment 165950

Awesome thanks Cuda :thup:

I still don't know if I should switch to 10.
Win 7 does what I need it to do really...
But I don't want to miss the free upgrade.

Is there a way to have that free upgrade but not install it?
Maybe sometime in the future I'll update to 10 so I might as well take advantage of the free upgrade.

There is no rush...

What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

That's why you'll want continue to run it as an insider post RTM release. Use it as your main OS for as long as you need to make a final decision. If you don't have any show stopping events, then pull the trigger and upgrade to win 10 using your win7/8 credits. You can go slow ring so they don't lay new builds on you frequently like the fast ring does. you've got a year and 3 weeks to decide.

Well it's easy-peasy to sign up for free as in free beer. Or he can just convert the win7 oem at first and see how he likes it before committing his win 8.1 retail.

BTW, what's the advantage of setting 'metered' connection?

I think from various posts i've seen that Silver is on satellite internet & has to follow fairly strict usage limits.......Regardless, advantages of "Metered Connection" setting in Windows as follows.

Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data sent and received by your PC). That's called a metered Internet connection. These plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit you might have to pay extra. In some cases, you aren't charged extra but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends.

If you have a metered Internet connection, setting your network connection to metered in Windows will restrict applications from using extra Internet bandwidth. It especially does the following:

*Windows Update will only download priority updates.
*Apps downloading from Windows Store will be paused.
*Start Screen tiles will stop updating live data from the Internet.
*Offline files will not synchronize automatically through the Internet

Note: Metered Connection setting not available in Windows 7 or earlier O/S

That's all? They couldn't actually give it day-of-the-month scheduled cycle and actually disable the connection after x MB?

Well it's easy-peasy to sign up for free as in free beer. Or he can just convert the win7 oem at first and see how he likes it before committing his win 8.1 retail.

BTW, what's the advantage of setting 'metered' connection?

Cuda is correct, I am on satellite internet here. 30Gb/month after I use up 30Gb, they begin to slowly throttle me the more I go over.

And no, I'm not an insider, however I have an idea.
Just bought some RAM for my folding rig, perhaps I can become an insider and put Win 10 on the folding rig to play with while it folds?

Or does the Win 10 insider have to be installed over my Win 7 install?

Well the latest build ISO is 10162, but it will cost you one eighth of your monthly bandwidth allotment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back