• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help enabling Steam in Home Streaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I got steam in home streaming working but when I first load a game up it says "slow network" and when I play the game (I have only tried grid autosport) it is laggy. In other words, the time between my control input and the game responding is unacceptably long.

I don't understand why it is laggy as both computers are plugged directly into the gateway with a wired connection.

Any thoughts? I need this figured out by 9PM EST ideally when my old friend comes over to play games. Haven't seen him in a while and playing on the big living room TV would be more comfortable and more impressive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Are both computers connected to the hub with a Gigabit link?

Well, Cat5e and Cat6 both support Gigabit.
I expect both computers are Gigabit.

What hub/router are you using?

Well, Cat5e and Cat6 both support Gigabit.
I expect both computers are Gigabit.

What hub/router are you using?

I will get back to you with this info when my hangover wears off. Got into the beer pretty bad last night...

Yes both NICs are 100 percent absolutely gigabit.

I will get back to you with this info when my hangover wears off. Got into the beer pretty bad last night...

Yes both NICs are 100 percent absolutely gigabit.

Yeah, the NICs on most any modern motherboard (which yours are) will be Gigabit.
A LOT of people run into issues because they're running either a 100Mb router/hub or CAT5 cable instead of CAT5e or CAT6.

okay from googling the data sheet it was fine for gigabit as well. What did you end up doing?

Even a 100mb connection ought to be enough to reasonably play something over network. What are the specs of the machine that's receiving the stream?

Even a 100mb connection ought to be enough to reasonably play something over network. What are the specs of the machine that's receiving the stream?

Machine receiving the stream is the HTPC in my sig and machine sending is the "gamer" PC.

I don't have any more time to try to solve this now as it's all gung ho Christmas Eve party preparation from here on in but starting Dec 25th I'm going to take all the advice that was given here and apply it and see what I can get out of it.

Thanks to everyone who answered and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas/Merry Festivus!

Just out of curiosity what are you trying to stream? are you running the games from a server but trying to play them else where in the house?

did you try
"How do I diagnose streaming performance problems?
You can look in logs\streaming_log.txt on the remote computer after you play a game to get a detailed breakdown of how much time was spent in each component of the streaming system.
While the game is running, you can hit F6 or the Guide button combined with the Y button on your game controller to turn on live statistics for the session. While the statistics are visible the game collects more detailed information which is saved in logs\SteamVideoTrace.txt and logs\SteamAudioTrace.txt at the end of the session.
While the statistics are visible, you can hit F8 or the Guide button combined with the X button on your game controller to save a screenshot and 10 seconds worth of stats to a zip file in the streaming directory in the Steam folder on the remote computer.
There is a good article on how to interpret the log information here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540733523404402134/" ???

Thanks for the tips TransformedBG. Sadly I can not implement anything as my HTPC is blocked off by moved furniture these couple of days for Xmas parties. But 25th or later I will implement all this and get it working as it should.

Party at noobs place! \ :D / yeah!

Hey you do better than my streaming curiosities... My portable gaming machines says my card can stream but unavailable.

(my folks are back from spain... And I thought I'd dodged crimbo :-/ lol)

Enjoy your generic celebratory duration... <--- uber generic season greetings :rofl:

Click in the red oval, verify the green one
View attachment 157660

Done. Gigabit confirmed.

Party at noobs place! \ :D / yeah!

Hey you do better than my streaming curiosities... My portable gaming machines says my card can stream but unavailable.

(my folks are back from spain... And I thought I'd dodged crimbo :-/ lol)

Enjoy your generic celebratory duration... <--- uber generic season greetings :rofl:

Thank you my fellow member of the now defunct #PinkTeam. Merry (insert holiday) to you too. Nah just kidding Merry Christmas!

Back