• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnknownSpectre

Registered
I have a relatively dumb question about bitcoins...is there software for a pure Unix environment to mine bitcoins? And is CPU mining profitable anymore, or is it mainly the GPU mining?

I have a relatively dumb question about bitcoins...is there software for a pure Unix environment to mine bitcoins?

I don't know Unix, but there exists for several flavors of Linux.

And is CPU mining profitable anymore,

That ship sailed several years ago.

or is it mainly the GPU mining?

That ship sailed about a year after the first ship.

You need ASIC hardware to mine bitcoins at anything approaching profitable levels. Even then, with the value dropping, you are likely buying expensive space heaters that will never turn a profit.

This is for bitcoins. You can mine altcoins, and trade them for bitcoins with CPUs and GPUs, but unless your electricity is free, you probably won't make money at it.

That's what I thought. I'm not necessarily looking to "profit" just to prove a point to myself...

The *NIX software, can someone point me to some, preferably source code that I need to compile myself?

search for cgminer, bfgminer, or sgminer I believe all should be compileable under linux.

cgminer no longer does (it has long since been deprecated to only support ASIC miners). Sgminer should work just fine I suppose.

Still just so it is known, you will earn virtually nothing trying to mine bitcoin with a CPU, the current miners are literally thousands if not more times faster than a CPU.

Again, I'm just wanting to compile and attempt to run on a very specific set of hardware just trying to prove that it can be done. I realize I will get nothing out of it, but this is more experiment than profit making attempt

The CPU mining ship sailed long ago, as someone said..

The GPU mining ship sunk after it hit an iceberg.

The ASIC mining ship got hijacked by pirates at sea.

Back