• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

#NoPreOrders - 2015

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never pre-ordered. We live in a world where it isn't hard to get a game on day 1 even if you don't pre order and the pre-order benefits are basically non existent.

I am at the point where I don't buy a game month 1 at the very least due to stability etc. That is even for Blizzard games which I know I love.

Most games are 1-1.5 years and then in a steam sale.

Last game I bought on release was GTA 4, such a waste of money. Why spend £40 on a game when I could spend £5 on a game from last year that is just as good (if not better) fully reviewed and often all bugs fixed!

Anything by EA/Activation/Ubi, I will not pre-order. CD Projekt Red, Bethesda, or BioWare I will still pre-order. Anything Introversion puts out I'll buy as soon as they'll let me throw money at them. Pre-ordering isn't really the problem here - it's lack of education. If the unwashed masses are too lazy to remember how often certain publishers and studios have screwed over their customers, there's not much you can do about it.

FWIW - bioware was purchased by EA (unless I'm misremembering)

I'll pre-order some games... but usually I've been in some beta program with them or I've done my research on the game before hand.
Putting $5 down and backing out at pickup isn't a big issue with me if something goes wrong near the release. As well pre-order seems to be the only way to get some special edition boxes which are sometimes (not all) worth the extra cash personally.

I'd over the course of a year I have maybe 2-3 pre-orders. Rest are bought after the fact.

True, but BioWare has yet to release any Activision-style piles of crap (the multiplayer part of ME3 was pretty buggy, but it was hardly a core feature), so I'll trust their stuff for now.

Being, for all intents and purposes, a 'one game pony' (BF4 and a few others get some time, but not a lot). Naaa.

Good idea though and I support it... but if I want BF5, Im getting it day 1. :)

you could still not preorder it though, they are going to dump so many copies on day 1 any way, they always do. there will be no shortage.

I haven't preordered since gran turismo 4. infact I never picked up my GT4 pre order because they promised a bunch of things and when the game came out all that I was looking forward to was removed. so I washed 5 bucks and pissed off the software ect people because they couldn't sell it because I had pre ordered it. might have been a **** move but it was to make a point.

since then most of the games I want are available day one and aren't things that most people like any way (akiba's trip any one?)

If they sweeten the pot for a game I know I will buy like day 1 DLC well I pre order. The model will not change as it is built around consoles. Look at the pre release crap all over steam.

I hate day 1 DLC, it's like saying that they have extra stuff for the game, that they could have included at release, but instead held it back so they could charge more. It is especially upsetting for games that suck at release, but have DLC you can buy...it really grinds my gears.

I have never pre ordered a game and likely never will. It's not like there's a shortage. That DLC has become a real problem too. It's like you get half the game for full price anymore and it's criminal. I can see them sitting around the conference with tented fingers plotting new ways to milk us for all we have. This year I have one current title that I haven't played yet which is FarCry4 came with my card. The rest were bought over the summer in the steam sale. 6+ game for about $50 seems reasonable to me and I don't feel like I miss anything even though I'm a year behind.

Some pretty crappy stuff has been going on with h1z1 apparently:

And update: SOE is offering no questions asked refunds

yeah all the complaints were whiners who dont understand what an alpha is expecting a full game when its in SA, if i were SOE i would be glad to give them full refunds because i know i wont have whiners spamming me with any little issue 500 times over. the h1z1 reddit is ridiculous i stopped going in there very often because they literally just sit in there and cry like entitled little babies.
"we dont want people to buy guns"
"we want to be able to find fresh food in plenty"
QQ
launch day they put in some awesome guns in the air drops, because hey lets face it they wanted people who paid the extra money to have some fun and enjoy a free preview of the better items in the game, it being in alpha who cares if they got some awesome weapons by the time the game makes to to full release its not like they are still going to have them, the next day they had already waaaay lowered any kind of weapons that could be in the crates. not to mention the drop can happen within a 700m radius of the player and the plane comes in super slow anyone on the server will be able to make it to the drop zone before it hits the ground or not too long after and contest anything dropped. its basically a paid for server event not an "i want this im gonna buy it" situation.

biggest problem with it is unrealistic expectations from an ALPHA. people need to just be glad they get to play and help report bugs in a manageable fashion.

yeah all the complaints were whiners who dont understand what an alpha is expecting a full game when its in SA, if i were SOE i would be glad to give them full refunds because i know i wont have whiners spamming me with any little issue 500 times over. the h1z1 reddit is ridiculous i stopped going in there very often because they literally just sit in there and cry like entitled little babies.
"we dont want people to buy guns"
"we want to be able to find fresh food in plenty"
QQ
launch day they put in some awesome guns in the air drops, because hey lets face it they wanted people who paid the extra money to have some fun and enjoy a free preview of the better items in the game, it being in alpha who cares if they got some awesome weapons by the time the game makes to to full release its not like they are still going to have them, the next day they had already waaaay lowered any kind of weapons that could be in the crates. not to mention the drop can happen within a 700m radius of the player and the plane comes in super slow anyone on the server will be able to make it to the drop zone before it hits the ground or not too long after and contest anything dropped. its basically a paid for server event not an "i want this im gonna buy it" situation.

biggest problem with it is unrealistic expectations from an ALPHA. people need to just be glad they get to play and help report bugs in a manageable fashion.

As I see it, this is a different but more worrisome trend.
Paying to ALPHA test. This concept seems crazy to me. The general populous is not qualified to Beta test, let alone Alpha test.

I have done some volunteer Beta testing and in those situations we worked directly with the devs. Our job was to break the game.

Today's paid alpha testing is just a cash grab.

As I see it, this is a different but more worrisome trend.
Paying to ALPHA test. This concept seems crazy to me. The general populous is not qualified to Beta test, let alone Alpha test.

I have done some volunteer Beta testing and in those situations we worked directly with the devs. Our job was to break the game.

Today's paid alpha testing is just a cash grab.

about the only reason why i tried this one was because it was made by SOE and they did a good job on planetside so figured what the hell if its less buggy than dayz SA then worth it. btw it is much less buggy even being an alpha game. lol

but yeah dayzSA and h1z1 are the only games ive bought in Early Access.

I haven't pre-ordered since BF4. I was not happy with the constant money they were trying to get out of me with the season pass and bonus packs etc.

I've been doing the Kickstarter thing if that counts as a pre-order I'm not sure. That is the model that I can support where I am essentially paying for the creation of the game. If you play Wasteland 2 my name is in the credits! ;)

If you play Wasteland 2 my name is in the credits! ;)

I know I've gotten my name in a game credits as well :) Just a cool fun fact at least.

I pre-ordered 2 things... just recently. More because of it being price breaks than anything but would of picked them up anyways.
Homeworld Remastered and Offworld Trading Company.

But is your name-in-game in Prison Architect? Everybody in this thread ought to have purchased everything ever released by Introversion :) No silly DLC, an actual bug tracker for pre-release purchasers to use, and keeps things in pre-release for long enough to actually have them nicely done at release time.

I haven't pre-ordered since BF4. I was not happy with the constant money they were trying to get out of me with the season pass and bonus packs etc.

I've been doing the Kickstarter thing if that counts as a pre-order I'm not sure. That is the model that I can support where I am essentially paying for the creation of the game. If you play Wasteland 2 my name is in the credits! ;)

I'm not much of a fan of the "invest for absolutely no return" thing, unless they're actually offering completely unique stuff to early backers that people who buy later will wish they could have :) Too few of the kickstarter projects are actually offering anything special to people willing to risk their cash on a project.

I pre-order for titles I am 100% sure I am going to play for a long time. I don't regret pre-ordering BF4 even with the release day issues. The game has entertained me for countless hours and I'm a long time BF fan. I don't make a habit of pre-ordering for titles that are new to me though.

Back