• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will 600 watt psu support 550 gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That GPU is only 150 watt's

A 600 watt PS will work with your system

Coolmax excluded from this statement ..... lmao

Witchdoctor said:
That GPU is only 150 watt's

A 600 watt PS will work with your system

Coolmax, diablotek, apevia, logisys, Powmax, old Rosewill, etc. excluded from this statement ..... lmao
Fixed MOAR.

Those brands (for the most part) serve better as lighters than power supplies. :rofl:

Hi, I am on the verge of ordering this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GT..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421435343&sr=8-1&keywords=970
and atm I have a 600w psu, I also have an i5 cpu, 32gb ram, and 1 hdd, would the psu support the graphics card? Thanks.

To clarify what others are saying, the '550w gpu' isn't running at 550w. Generally (almost always) a GPU manufacturer will give an approximate requirement for full system wattage, not just the GPU. The highest pulling [not overclocked] single-core GPUs on the market pull about 225-250w, for example. As others said the GPU you are looking at pulls approximately 150w.

Rating can not always be trusted, depends on manufacturer. The high end super quality PSUs made by Seasonic or Corsair may be able to push above the rated value, for example AX1200i (1300+W) or X-850 (1000+W) and when overloaded they will safely shutdown without any damage to the system. However many Noname or "Badname" may be different, so i always recommend not to be cheap on PSUs, simply not worth it...

More topic related... need to know the exact PSU else no way to give accurate answer, just as i said a rating is not always true.

The highest pulling [not overclocked] single-core GPUs on the market pull about 225-250w, for example. As others said the GPU you are looking at pulls approximately 150w.

1. 150W is without OC, but most true gamers or aftermarket cards may run at OC condition, so the standart value is not always realistic.

2. It sounds somewhat disturbing when you say that a device is "pulling". Power can not be pulled in scientific terms, perhaps common terms i dunno. A PSU is nothing more than a pace-changer and adding filtering and protection mechanisms related to the output using a certain source, but at the cost of sometimes non required discharge resulting in some power loss. A card or board is another pace-changer with almost same attributes but at a much smaller scale, instead way more precise in many terms. All the parts will add resistance (measured in OHM) to the power und may change the pace and add filtering/protection, but the term pull is in my mind not a valid term. I think, giving more value to the power and not performance only may grant new insight.

Last edited:
How much power something "pulls" is quite a common term ivy... Perhaps not to you though.

Factory overclocked cards fit within the assigned tdp. It's when you go pastthat the value goes up. There are also power limits built in so they don't go much over that value anyway.

This is a "common term" in the US at least, not necessarely every country. In general i have to say that the common language* is a issue worldwide and not taking quality of know how serious. Especially US is fun, they are one of the most innovative countrys worldwide when it comes to certain terms, but at the same time the most aged country too... (railroad, last-mile-network, spelling of many stuff, scientifically correct use of maths and units). I think the difference between the classes in society is simply so harsh that there is a serious chaos and all the factors are mixing together in a never end story, and hindering each others. Only a question of time how long innovation can last in such a mixed bag but i hope they may be able to take the challenge and rise up.

Regarding OC of GTX or cards in general: Many cards, epecially the GTX 970 got a harsh forced TDP limit but this limit can be expanded by a different BIOS and some aftermarket cards got a higher TDP limit "power target". Many GTX 970 may indeed have a TDP of up to 200W set by BIOS, according to the last time i checked google. But indeed, reference designs and BIOS may set a harsh 145W limit or so, but in that term i guess we are at the wrong board, according to last time i checked the mentality on this board. :D If you dont raise the limit, i see no realistic way moving into the 1300-1400 MHz range, not even when the card stays cool and safe and it may even throttle at short "boost" actions.

Now i can of course just make a individual statement related to the first post, however, i dont even know the exact PSU used, so a general answer is considered a better approach. I dont even know the specific TDP of that card but it is a aftermarket design with high clocks and i would be surprised if it fits the standart TDP, if so it would throttle a lot and the clock may be fake.

Anyway, no problem with what you say... its your view but not necessarily my view because i think your ideas/mentality is sometimes to easy minded and may require a added complexity... not more and not less.

*I remember when someone told me "if i am on drugs", i can not understand that term because it is way to relative and i take such expressions serious, i dont play around with primitive common words and at the same time not taking the "so praised" science into account. But of course, i guess the shouter was earning many "yay-sayers", which is not surprising at all...

Last edited:
The irony of you calling me simple minded is nothing short of appalling.

As far as ther terminology used, it's common. Not in my vernacular, but most enthusiasts. Sorry.you missed the boat, but perhaps its because you keep trying to post on an English speaking forum and there are intricacies in the language you continuosly miss? Not sure. I just know that 90%.of the people here have a very hard time understanding your long winded for little reason dissertations yet you continue to post here and act like we are the problem.

Next, the power use out of the cards factory overclocked will not go over the tdp. The tdp is a target for each card to stay at or under. Out of the box, the highest I have seen as far as power limit is 20%. On a 150w card (970), 20% increase yield 180w. On the 165w card (980) that is around 195w. Certainly one can mod the bios to go past these limits, but you don't see that much outside.of the benchmarking team. It's something that is also not common. Knowing the tdp of the card wont matter. It won't throttle at its factory stock clocks, even if they are heavily o erclocked. If you used these cards and paid attention, you would find that its not until you add voltage and overclock that you get close to the tdp (nvidia cards). In short, it's not "fake" clocks nor will it hit the tdp. There is built in headroom there.

Hopefully you get it... and hopefully this doesn't cause a long winded dissertation someone has to translate and reply to.

Well not simply, "easy", meaning some phlegmatic approach in the matter of "willing", "simple" in my mind is someone that truly is not able to cross a line. The term "easy minded" may not exist at all but to me it is a clear difference, willing to or able to.

Regarding the 180W and other stuff, finally you made some more clear statement, thanks.

... intricacies in the language you continuosly miss?
Intricacies? Nope i dont think so, actually i think it is coarse... in theory 1 million words possible but, well thats the theory.

Last edited:
RE: tdp, I was clear out of the gate, ivy. Just not as detailed as you would have liked. Most could have made the short leap to what I was saying if they knew how the cards and the binning process works. ;)

In some tests GTX970/980 tops at about 220-250W ( Tom's Hardware and some other sites ) even though TDP in theory is 150-170W. That's short period max wattage and won't happen on all cards. Reference cards have it limited. However it's better to have 300W dedicated only for gfx card if you want to OC. Standard profiles on some cards will let to draw 250W without OC or BIOS mods ( like Gigabyte G1 ).
So what will happen if you have about 200W for gfx card and it will try to use more ? Probably nothing and it will throttle because in this way are programmed power stages. Also if it's reference or close to reference design then max wattage will be limited by the card anyway.

For me weird is how low is power limit in some standard cards. Without BIOS changes on many cards you can see some kind of throttling.

Good 450-550W PSU ( can get cheaper Corsair or other brands 90+ Gold ) is more than enough for gaming on Intel platform if you are not overvolting card much.

Last edited:
This is a pretty new thing to me to be honest. Even with 290x/780/780ti, the power limit was the TDP. In thinking a little bit more, the power use shown in MSI AB with the Galax 970 HOF had to be higher than 150W because I was barely using 75% overclocked and with added voltage. That said, that also goes against what NVIDIA has asked AIBs to do so, I'm left scratching my head. I wonder how they are getting around such things and getting away with it...

The thing is, i am interested into buying such a Nvidia card but i recently heard about "throttling-issues", not necessarily OC cards only but even the "usual ones" and i am kinda confused. To me PSU isnt a matter but just to say there is other issues creating some sort of uncertain feeling when it comes to buying of such cards. In my mind the 150 W power limit is pretty restricted considering the pretty strong performance of this card, it is even lower TDP than my old 7870 but way stronger. Nvidia surely can make great performing GPUs but compared to AMD Nvidia is more prone to make critical "cuts" in order to cut cost at some point, memory interface is just one of many things. The first GTX 680 only had 2 GB (a high end model) and all the people was telling me i am stupid even to worry about... but nowadays this card can safely be called "end of life", because to many games becoming issues (even at low settings) while the competing AMD high end model 7970 is still sufficient at RAM amount @ 1080P and a good option for people who want to save up on cash. Now the GTX 970, i think there was a critical cut when it comes to TDP design... Nvidia Nvidia... watch out.

Last edited:
There isn't a problem with their TDP design. Can you show me a review where their card throttled?

Back