• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique my buddy's new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello, my buddy wants to buy a new rig next week. I offered him to let you guys do a final check on his stuff before he buys it so here it is:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI PLUS
Processor: Intel i7-5820K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 412S
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400Mhz (2x8) - later wants to add another 16.
Graphics Card: GTX970
Harddrive: Seagate 3TB SATA HDD
SSD: Crucial MX100, 256GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master V550 Semi-Modular

Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27" 1440p monitor (ips, 1440p, 60hz, 4ms)

Wants to play GTA 5, watch dogs etc. and wants to do video rendering etc.

Not really needed for light rendering or gaming. In fact, a significant overkill for light rendering or gaming. Unless youre doing davinci or 4k sampling in adobe premiere, a 4790k would be a great way to cut the cost by a third or more. At 1440p, I would "downgrade" to the 4790k, and get another 970 for sli.

Barring that, its a pretty cookie cutter build. Could certainly do better on the power supply and cooler but the components look good. Seasonic m12ii or evga supernova are great great choices that don't cost a huge amount either. Phanteks ph-tc14 or noctua nh-d14/15 would be a superior choice to that 412s. That 750d is certainly up to the task.

Not really needed for light rendering or gaming. In fact, a significant overkill for light rendering or gaming. Unless youre doing davinci or 4k sampling in adobe premiere, a 4790k would be a great way to cut the cost by a third or more. At 1440p, I would "downgrade" to the 4790k, and get another 970 for sli.

Barring that, its a pretty cookie cutter build. Could certainly do better on the power supply and cooler but the components look good. Seasonic m12ii or evga supernova are great great choices that don't cost a huge amount either. Phanteks ph-tc14 or noctua nh-d14/15 would be a superior choice to that 412s. That 750d is certainly up to the task.

Thank you for your reply.

The reason for the CPU/mobo is because of future security, he rather wants a strong CPU for years on end and to add another 970 in a year or two (and a new PSU obviously) then to change mobo/cpu in a few years. Also, he won't be overclocking that much, just a tad (perhaps to 4.0) so I think the cooler will be more than enough..? What's wrong with the PSU? It's a gold certificate 80+, isn't that good enough?

If he's planning SLI he should get the 5930K. More PCIe lanes, better for multi-GPU.
Cooler is meh at best, look at an NH-D14.
PSU is meh to not good. 80+ has nothing to do with quality. Since he's planning SLI, go with the EVGA SuperNova G2 750W. It's one of the best 750W units on the market.

Okay, thanks for the feedback, probably should've mentioned that the total cost of what you see above is his budget pretty much maxed out as well..

I say he'd be better of with this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zHJq99

He'll have 32GB already.
Better cooler, so he can OC further. It'll also be much quieter than what was listed.
RAM will actually be faster than the 2400MHz DDR4 you had listed. This is because of latency.
Much better HDD. Those Seagate 3TB HDD's haven't been the most reliable.

Basically, he'll end up with a high-end Z97 system instead of a low-end X99 system.
The 4790K will very easily OC to 4.5GHz, even farther if he wants to put a little time toward it.
The 5820K will most likely top out around 4.2-4.3GHz for his daily usage, pending that the cooler can actually keep the temps down. That'll be a struggle with the 6-core.

This guy should not be putting builds together... That case is ancient and 2X8GB of RAM? On X99? Does he know the memory controller is quad channel? 4 sticks minimum. Unless he wants to gimp his performance a little.
Not a good idea, regardless. Most boards have 8 DIMM slots with X99. Buy 4 now, 4 later.

MSI boards are junk. They have been for years now. Steer him towards ASRock, Gigabyte, or ASUS.

That cooler isn't going to get him very far on a 5820K. He should be looking at a 240-280mm ALC solution.

Back