• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m12ii 620w not enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had a read around, seems these chips are drawing WAY more than the math otherwise suggests. 9590's are pulling well over 300w, which is ridiculous given their claimed 220w tdp.
It's 220 with turbo and the power saving features on. Once those 8 cores are on full time it's a whole different ball game.

If Bob doesn't mind I'll post a couple of Kill O Watt screenies with mine running prime at my 4.3, 4.5 and 4.7 all 2 hour stable Oc's.

Last edited:
It's 220 with turbo and the power saving features on. Once those 8 cores are on full time it's a whole different ball game.

If Bob doesn't mind I'll post a couple of Kill O Watt screenies with mine running prime at my 4.3, 4.5 and 4.7 all 2 hour stable Oc's.

go nuts! Didn't even think about the power saving stuff.

More usb devices doesn't mean they change spec to pull from the 12v rail instead of, iirc, the 5v.

TDP is for stock clocks while you are overclocking. But yeah, it scales pretty bad once you add voltage.

Really curious to see those values on your kill a watt. What are the clocks and voltage for both the cpu and gpu again?

Each rail has its own power rating and the total wattage is whats advertised then? I was thinking system wide I am over 620 watts.

Nominal. If you do the math... 5v x 3a = 15W assuming you are actually maxing it out and your psu has 3a on that rail. ;)

Edit... 2.5a on the 5v sb. So 12.5w at worst assuming all devices are hammering it.

Last edited:
Ok just a few quick runs. I have all the power saving features off for the test and I ran prime blend for the load test. This is using a the Coolermaster 1000W gold in my signature. When I have the power saving features enabled, at the 4.3 Oc the Kill O Watt reads 115 W at idle.

4.3 Idle 1.325 Cpu V
4.3 Load

4.5 Idle 1.36875 Cpu V
4.5 Load
4.7 Idle 1.46875 Cpu V
4.7 load

Last edited:
FWIW, I ran a 290 and i5 on an XFX TS550 (also Seasonic OEM) without issue. Wasn't overclocked, however.

FWIW, I ran a 290 and i5 on an XFX TS550 (also Seasonic OEM) without issue. Wasn't overclocked, however.
I highlighted the most important part of your statement ninjacore. There is a huge difference between an I5 stock and a Fx 8xxx Oced.

Haha 364w. I was guessing around 180 lol. That's insane.

Thanks Manny. Certainly elucidates a few things on my end. Between the 290 and 300 w drawing 8320, I can see how I'd top out a 620w psu

That is also at the wall since its on a Kill a Watt, so around 320W actual (assuming 90% efficient PSU) for the CPU/mobo/ram/etc. In that review, they are also using a KaW so that is system draw.

Last edited:
Back