• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Scratch Build] Node - 3D Printed PC Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update 7/15/2015

Another update! Getting closer and closer to finishing this project, this will be the last "progress" update to the project until it is finished. I will be posting some images of the project at some of the events I'm taking it to, so keep an eye out for those.

So lets get to it!

Started testing the lighting system, these suckers are bright! RGB LEDs controlled via IR remote and receiver.

6rioxOq.jpg

This is one thing I'm not happy with and will be fixing in the future. The lights are SO bright that they bleed through the 3D printed plastic. I think the solution to this will be to disassemble the case and paint either the interior of the case or the paint all the parts to add a barrier for the light. THIS WILL BE FIXED!

vP4yvPe.jpg

As with the last update, we painted the motherboard tray along with a number of other small parts.

zNS2n5A.jpg

gJweAWc.jpg

SSD's Mounted.

DWJMHoI.jpg

It's all coming together!

w4heThN.jpg

LZFWhPz.jpg

gp6s2ms.jpg

CbVrqL7.jpg

As I stated before, I will be taking this project with me to a few show, and to make sure it all gets there in one piece, I ordered a pelican case to ship it all in.

q3uhzfw.jpg

TBby5wN.jpg

sprtgUl.jpg

All packed up and ready to go!

rlD5sCj.jpg

Time for a beer!

jUd2Ylr.jpg

After the two shows are over, I will be handing the case over to a friend of mine to do all the cabling, at that point I only have a few minor things to take care of and it will be completed!!

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Hi all,

A couple of updates on the status of the Node, nothing to crazy. So I traveled to Portland, OR for PDXLAN 26. Had a blast there, I entered the Node in the CPUMag Case mod competition, I took 5th place and was up against some very tough competition.

After that I was off to Dallas TX for Quakecon 2015. Again, I entered the Node into the Modders INC Scratch Build competition, unfortunately I didn't place in that competition at all.

A lot of people were very interested in the case and had a lot of good things to say. I'm VERY happy with the reception of the case overall, makes all the time and effort worth it!

After both events I was informed I won Bit-tech's Mod of the month for June! http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=287885

For those wondering about the status of the project, after Quakecon, I handed the case over to my buddy at Hexagon PC so he could do all the sleeving for the case. Once it is done, he will be shipping the case back to me and I can start the rigid tubing for it.

I want to thank Hexagon PC for the sleeving, he does great work!

logo.png

https://www.hexagonpc.com/

Thanks everyone! Stay tuned for more!​

Fv29JXY.jpg
From PDXLAN

View attachment 159132

Table Of Contents:

Sponsors

1.Introduction and Concept​

Hi Everyone,

Im back with another project, the last version of this one fell flat on its face due to a number of reasons, but this is pretty much version 2.0 of this concept. The basic idea of this was to use 3D printing to create a case from scratch. The original version was a full scale, full tower. After getting some of the parts printed I started to find that there were some flaws with the plan, so I scrapped it and started from scratch. the new plan was to make this a robust and semi portable system that I can travel with to and from LAN parties.

I will be keeping both forum and video logs of the progress. Stay Tuned!

Concept Images

If you still have the Cad file I would like to see it.

Soon™!!!! This project will be finished VERY soon, like within the next week or so. Real life has gotten in the way of me finishing this project...so a quick update while I have time. I am currently replacing the soft tubing with hard line and I had to replace the pump because it died....for some reason.

WIP PICTURES!

sJ2kmn6.jpg

13Cmnxa.jpg

COMPLETED!!

Finally get to write this post and call the project completed! It's been about a year since I started this project, starting from simple CAD models all the way to this finished product. I am VERY happy with the end result.
I want to thank all the sponsors who provided me with various parts and services over the year, you really helped make this build possible!

Sl2I3c4.jpg

1DQ8a9z.jpg

REvU1l9.jpg

JwqMfqv.jpg

N6tjoYO.jpg

hneWSXU.jpg

DC2RCF6.jpg

5nZTJM7.jpg

BiQqjSJ.jpg

4jDyb7N.jpg

EfnPGxV.jpg

XwxHJ7n.jpg

sxkzSjs.jpg

65iB5ww.jpg

Its really an awesome project!
Do you plan on publishing the files on thingiverse? Or to sell them?

Really cool project. Very nice. Do you know what type of printer / material they used to make it?

Complx hasn't posted since last year. He'll likely be back, but I wouldn't expect it to be anytime soon.

I currently started printing corners for my design of this same case and all holes seem to line up. I will keep you all updated.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2360.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Im also using a Makerbot Replicator+ with pla.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,852
Back