• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9590 need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dirtybandit1988

hi there i just brought a new fx 9590 for my system (The Beast as im told) i have must update Bios and set to default on my Asus crosshair v formula-z mobo, the thing is i cant get it to be stable, i run Prime95 for 40=60mins then start getting problems, like errors and warnings and even some workers start stopping, im doing the very first test at the top for the options, witch is = small fft`s (maximum heat,fpu stress, data fits in l2 cache)

My system spec is:=

Motherboard-
Asus Crosshair v formula-z

Processor
AMD fx 9590

Memory
Cosair vang 16gb 1600Mhz

Graphics Card
GTX 760 OC

Storage - Main - os
Samsange evo 250gb

Storage
Seagate 1000gb

CPU Cooler
Cosair H80i

Case
Xpredator Evil blue - 8 fans

Power Supply
Corsair gold 80+ rm 1000Watt

OS
Windows 7

any help and tips would be really great as its really getting to me now, and has really tested my now how lol
thank you all

The first question I want to ask since you are using that heater... what were the temperatures at when running P95?

hi there i just brought a new fx 9590 for my system (The Beast as im told) i have must update Bios and set to default on my Asus crosshair v formula-z mobo, the thing is i cant get it to be stable, i run Prime95 for 40=60mins then start getting problems, like errors and warnings and even some workers start stopping, im doing the very first test at the top for the options, witch is = small fft`s (maximum heat,fpu stress, data fits in l2 cache)

My system spec is:=

Motherboard-
Asus Crosshair v formula-z

Processor
AMD fx 9590

Memory
Cosair vang 16gb 1600Mhz

Graphics Card
GTX 760 OC

Storage - Main - os
Samsange evo 250gb

Storage
Seagate 1000gb

CPU Cooler
Cosair H80i

Case
Xpredator Evil blue - 8 fans

Power Supply
Corsair gold 80+ rm 1000Watt

OS
Windows 7

any help and tips would be really great as its really getting to me now, and has really tested my now how lol
thank you all

I think I have identified the source of the problem, I hilighted it in yellow. I don't think your cooler is up to the task. Also do the blend test instead and see if you have better results. If you can keep HWMonitor free open while running and post the results here so we can have a look. While you're at it post up some CPUz shots. We like to see the main, spd and memory tabs.

In order to verify what might be suggested as a fix/cure...

...it is always best to get on same page: This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Pretty sure such as seen above is exactly what "johan45" was referring to capturing and attaching to the forum for viewing.

RGone...

The H80i is nowhere near going to be enough to properly cool that chip. What monitoring software are you using for your temps and what are they at?

Just a quick reply to all and thank you for helping, I was starting to think that myself it was the cooler, but on say that I have been using all of them programs and will send screen shots tomoz when at computer again, and to the temp both times I used p95 at one point it got to 65c for a min or two but then sat around 62c

Rgone - I'm going to be honest mate I'm not to sure on all of them Bios settings mate

Last edited by a moderator:
The setting will be in the advanced section under CPU, most of them any way. We'll have a look tomorrow then.

Got this exact same setup at home. Same board cpu and gtx 760 minus the brand.

Firstly this boards bios, likes fast ram. you would notice by default timings being way too loose for the ram your using. Mine at 1333 posts 11-11-11-x-x timings no matter what brand. Used 3 brands so far with all the same timings.

That being said, you should look into purchasing 1000mhz ram speeds and up.

The cpu is hot. 1.5v stock for 5ghz makes heat fast. Better cooling, better overclocking period end of story.

The default boot should depend on JEDEC specs and not what the board wants... right? I can't imagine it has anything to do with 'liking' fast ram. It may simply be programmed in more loose than JEDEC specs. But because it can run fast ram wouldn't mean it changes the way it boots at default. ;)

...and he already purchased his ram.

The default boot should depend on JEDEC specs and not what the board wants... right? I can't imagine it has anything to do with 'liking' fast ram. It may simply be programmed in more loose than JEDEC specs. But because it can run fast ram wouldn't mean it changes the way it boots at default. ;)

...and he already purchased his ram.

i wish that was true brother, used 1000mhz ram 2133mhz ram and 800mhz ram all on auto defaults 1333 at 11-11-11-x-x.

EDIT:

at anything over 1866mhz board autos to 11-13-13-x-x makes for easy overclocking.

Now I havent' updated bios. No need really, it came with 2nd to latest bios onboard already.

It's designed for high speeds. No issues running 2400mhz with corsair vengence (2000mhz @ 9-10-9 SPD profile) tripple channel ram with only 2 sticks in dual channel and that's old *** intel ram.

Just a quick reply to all and thank you for helping, I was starting to think that myself it was the cooler, but on say that I have been using all of them programs and will send screen shots tomoz when at computer again, and to the temp both times I used p95 at one point it got to 65c for a min or two but then sat around 62c

yea pretty much guessed it right here, my suggestions for faster ram are up to you to take into account.

Dirtybandit1988 realize you are not even...

...not even at your computer right now. So no need to worry about getting more ram until we see what is cause of your workers stopping and other errors at about <1 hour. The majority of use believe your cpu is overheating and that is why we want to see the four screen captures I showed in my first post above.

If as S_B says that the later boards and bioses like fast ram, well you can go there later if you wish. Looser timings right now should not be causing the P95 failures you are mentioning. In fact small FFTs are likely running in the cpu cache or nearly so and not being affected by ram right now.

I gave the bios settings since for sure they are in that boards bios and in windows Power Manager section of windows. It keeps cpu downclocking and keeping odd inbuilt cpu settings from giving odd or suspicious actions.

So get back to your rig. Capture and attach the 4 pics we need and we will see if can sort it for heat issue since most have been heat related with FX-9590 and borderline cooling or try and see just what is the deal. Pics give us the opportunity to see what you have going on out there where you are and us miles away.

Luck man.

RGone...

OK for reference and a tad bit of correction and comparison info for OP.

Here's 5ghz set manually via bios. 1.525v.

My P-state info. (yours should look really close to this)

P-State FID 0x22 - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (25.00x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x22 - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (25.00x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x1D - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (22.50x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0B - IDD 14 (20.00x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x15 - IDD 11 (17.00x - 1.287 V)
P-State FID 0x8 - VID 0x25 - IDD 7 (12.00x - 1.087 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x35 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.887 V)

underlined is the one chosen to run for this screen shot.

Ram, not SPD info is incorrect. timing set for 1066mhz effective is supposed to be 11-11-11-27 1.5v

Ram runs 11-11-11-x-x at 667 auto Ram speed.

When manually put 1066mhz ram speed, board timings on auto, sets timings as depicted. 11-13-13-35 voltage on auto 1.5v runs fine.

Board was shipped with latest bios. I have to correct my earlier statement of 2nd to newest, it did in fact come with the latest bios as yours likely did if recently purchased..

NOTE: When enabled 1066mhz Ram speed, board HT on auto dumbs down to 2200mhz. If posted Auto all, meaning NO manually input OC settings, HT speed defaults to 2600mhz. NOTE II: standard Cpu/HT link width is 16x at 2600mhz, this can be manually input even while running higher ram speeds, stability may or may not be effected.

Lastly, while running Prime95, my cpu at 5ghz hits a little over 40c as the cooling I'm using isn't ordinary by any means.

Really your first main goal is to lower those cpu temps. Best suggestion here is a Custom built water cooling loop. Yea, it costs some moneys, but why buy the hottest cpu and not buy into some better than good liquid cooling. It is THE only way.

Good luck!

And here's a couple of benchies really quick just to give you an idea of where my temps are at and how the system is running nice smooth and clean.

Attachments

• default 5ghz 9590.png
    default 5ghz 9590.png
    63 KB · Views: 860
  • default 5ghz 9590 timings.png
    default 5ghz 9590 timings.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 858
  • default 5ghz 9590 quick bench.png
    default 5ghz 9590 quick bench.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 888
Overclockers.png

ok there is the screenies you ask for :) on doing them i notice the ram seem to be in slot 2 and 4, do i need to change them to 1 and 3? ok just to clear things up a little im not oc at all till some time in fufture, just want it running at stock completely fine till i get my dream cooling build saved for, im starting to believe it is my cooler is not doing it now, i have seen a custom build cpu cooler kit on scan witch looks good and cost only 160 witch i think is good and i can add parts later on it says for when i want to water cool other comments, wot you think? this is a link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121537597655?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT to start me off as i have never done that befor, but am watching videos on it so have good knowledge befor i do it, plus i am going to change my ram to 16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Trident X Series CL10 (10-12-12-31) Dual, im going to get this twice to make it up to 32gb tho when i got founds, but first the cooler kit i think is proity

Your ram is fine where it is. Now can you run P95 blend for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open. Then post that SS. We need to see temps etc... under load.

There are many decent starter kits for water cooling. My advice would be to do it the way you want it now and I would go with a 360 rad right from the start if it would fit in your case. Like this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...e_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321s1310&id=G7XgvqK7 it has a good pump with it which is important.

Your ram is fine where it is. Now can you run P95 blend for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open. Then post that SS. We need to see temps etc... under load.

There are many decent starter kits for water cooling. My advice would be to do it the way you want it now and I would go with a 360 rad right from the start if it would fit in your case. Like this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...e_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321s1310&id=G7XgvqK7 it has a good pump with it which is important.

...except not from frozencpu right now...

What exactly do you use this pc for to need 32gb of memory?

Captures do not seem...

...do not seem to from "while" the system was under load doing P95 Blend mode and HWMonitor FREE not PRO running in the background logging max/min/current temps and voltages.

You could certainly go into bios and set manually a cpu mutiplier of 22 and drop voltage to 1.45V and then test with P95 Blend mode and likely P95 would quit failing until you do get time to get good cooling. Getting down off that 4.7Ghz and high Vcore would take the strain off the cooling system until plans could be made and fulfilled.

RGone...

even a hyper 212evo or better will getmuch better temps than that h80i. There are plenty of heatsinks capable of running this cpu

I don't know about "plenty", but there are a couple.....and the 212 ain't one of them.
Unless you physically have a 9590, you have no idea how hot these get.

Back