• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia 3D Vision any Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodkat

Probably as much of a gimmick as 3D TV but online reviews from people who appear to be fairly logical, have me wondering. They make some decent arguments that it is at least worth trying. As I have never experienced 3D TV I figured I might give it a try.

Anyone know of some cheap glasses? It looks like China has been pumping out some cheap glasses but online reviews at places like Amazon are kind of confusing with some people saying they work and some saying they dont.

Thanks.

Personally I think the tech is pretty cool.
However it gave me a headache after playing for long periods of time. so gave up on it.
Some games do it better than others.
There is no doubt that it is more immersive experience.

I don't know if Nvidia is doing any proprietary with the 3D shutter glasses, though they may very well be as some glasses do not work well (or at all) with TV sets of other manufacturers, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case with Nvidia. That being said, the transmitter already comes with a pair of glasses, so just find the complete unit from whomever sells it the cheapest. Although it shouldn't make a difference, stick with the 3D Vision 2 model if you do get one.

As far as how it works, to me so far, I have not seen any better 3D setup yet for a LCD system. The ghosting is so minimal, that you don't notice it unless you're really looking for it, like with high contrast adjacent elements in the displayed image (something solid white adjacent to something solid black). 3D movies look great as well and the colors are great on this screen (once you have it calibrated).

Went to the offical forums.

So for wireless you need the emitter (looks like a little pyramid) and comes in a kit for $150. There are also a wired pair that doesn't need the emitter and is much cheaper.

Really couldn't get an answer about 3d party glasses working. I suspect they do because there are tons of Amazon reviews referring to even cheap reb/blue glasses working once you have the emitter.

I just bit the bullet and bought a pair of wired for $50.

Went to the offical forums.

So for wireless you need the emitter (looks like a little pyramid) and comes in a kit for $150. There are also a wired pair that doesn't need the emitter and is much cheaper.

Really couldn't get an answer about 3d party glasses working. I suspect they do because there are tons of Amazon reviews referring to even cheap reb/blue glasses working once you have the emitter.

I just bit the bullet and bought a pair of wired for $50.

I strongly suggest you stay far, far, far away from those Amazon reviews that refer to even cheap red/blue glasses working once you have the emitter. Those red/blue anaglyph glasses work without a emitter. Anyone who thinks you need an emitter for those to work, are probably the same who need someone else to turn the PC on and off for them, as they would be totally lost doing so.

That being said, you could just get any red/blue anaglyph glasses and use the built in red/blue 3D settings in the Nvidia drivers, but you'll be stuck with horrible ghosting, and colors that are way off because of the red/blue lenses.

I forgot about the wired version, as I could not find any anywhere when I was looking to complete my 3D setup. I would have preferred it as well, to avoid having to deal with the eventual dead battery in the glasses, though I have no idea how long those batteries will last. Hopefully, for the lifetime that I use it.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense about the emitter now that I think about it.

The thing that kept throwing me for a loop is that there were tons of 3D shutter glasses that looks like they have identical lenses and many reviews that said they worked with Nvidia 3D. The problem was that there was typically some confusion about what the seller was sending and some people were not getting what worked.

I just figured that given a handful of years the Chinese market will produce some comparable glasses. I suspect plenty do but whatever - $50 isn't a lot.

Really excited to see what it is like. I haven't experienced 3D since I was a kid 20+ years ago. I have no idea what to expect.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense about the emitter now that I think about it.

The thing that kept throwing me for a loop is that there were tons of 3D shutter glasses that looks like they have identical lenses and many reviews that said they worked with Nvidia 3D. The problem was that there was typically some confusion about what the seller was sending and some people were not getting what worked.

I just figured that given a handful of years the Chinese market will produce some comparable glasses. I suspect plenty do but whatever - $50 isn't a lot.

Really excited to see what it is like. I haven't experienced 3D since I was a kid 20+ years ago. I have no idea what to expect.

I also own the vg248qe together with a 3D Vision 2 kit.
The good things: It's INSANE. You can see depth so well and you can do stuff you otherwise can't. In World of Tanks you can see changes in terrain perfectly so you can easily see where you can go hull-down with your tank. In Skyrim for example you can easily gauge distance and be lethal with a bow (use the no-reticle sniperbow mod). Not to mention the appreciation you get for some of the female body models :3.

The bad thing: Above is only true if it works... Which is not that often unfortunately. While I also run/ran SLI which added issues to the experience there are a lot of games that don't render depth well or have interface issues. Skyrim for example needs quite a bit of patching from mods to work well and World of Tanks is not playable at all because the UI is not rendered at depth which means your aiming reticle aligns with one eye only. You go cross-eyed a lot then..

In the few games where it works, it's very cool. I have no games where I actively use it though simply because it's too much of a hassle to set up and get working. It's more frustrating when games DO support the Occulus but don't support 3D Vision. IMO 3D vision is way better for FPS games because you don't get the disconnect between your brain and your vision movement-wise.

So yeah, get it if you're interested, but be sure you keep the box tidy so you can return it after you've experienced what it COULD be.

Just to add my $0.02...I love the 3d action! Started with an alienware monitor and the 3d Vision kit (v1.0) and loved it. Went with 3 of the nice asus 27" monitors and 3d Vision kit (v2.0). v2 of the kit is MUCH MUCH better than v1.

I've gotten it working with almost every game I play. Some, as was mentioned, need some patching (incl. Skyrim) but the minor hassles were/are very much worth the time.

Super-immersive and working beautifully but be prepared for a 50% fps hit when enabling 3d.

Net, net...I love it but others not so much. I've never gotten headaches, dizziness, etc which occurs with some folks. Think you made the right choice by spending a little to try it before thinking about a bigger plunge (hopefully the glasses you ordered work).

Jognt- Thanks for that info! Didn't see a built-in emitter on that monitor so wasn't sure if the v2 kit would work.

So yeah, get it if you're interested, but be sure you keep the box tidy so you can return it after you've experienced what it COULD be.

That's kind of how I'm thinking about it.

v2 of the kit is MUCH MUCH better than v1.

That seems to be fairly subjective. The people I spoke with said they didn't notice a difference so I decided on the wired version 1. Two of the guys develop mods for the technology so they kind of swayed me into not spending more.

At least I will get an idea what it is like. If I think it is something for me I might consider v2 in the future.

Agreed that much is subjective. That said...iirc...something about using v2 with lightboost monitors that improves results for a number of people.

Back