• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build-Are these Temps OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I just built my sig and my mobos bios allows me to overclock from 3.7 to 4.3 with ease. It has 2 other built-in settings in red of 4.4 and 4.5. I set it to 4.5 and booted. Below are my screens of cpuz and hwmonitor. Turbo and apc is off, and pc is set to performance mode. I'm no gamer, I just want the thing to last, and be FAST of course. My watercooler is a coolermaster nepton 120xl. I have one 120 pulling through the rad and the other pushing out the back, plus the ps of course. In hwmonitor, Temperatures looks ok but I'm unclear on the Temperatures package section and why it's higher? Any input appreciated. Mahalos
cpu.jpg mem.jpg spd.jpg hwm.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the joining of cpu cooler to the cpu lid is not very good. That is first glance and going on what is seen.

RGone...

Thanks, I screwed it down oddly and let it set for over a month before I turned it on. I'll reseat it and see what happens.

4.5 GHZ is where this chip will need a big bump in volts to continue. When I had mine running I was hard pressed to tell what program to use for monitoring temps ..... I ended up using AI Suite III to monitor my temps I found HWMonitor to be high, either that or these chips handle allot more heat then the FX chips we push here. If my memory is right I was seing core temps in the mid to high 70's low 80*C with HWMonitor when pushed beyond 4.5GHZ upwards of 4.7GHZ on pretty good 2 X 240 slim rads. Johan has my board and chip now for some runs in one of his competitions and am sure he will post when he gets a chance with his thoughts. I never ran the setup enough to get a real feel as I needed the case when I put together my 4770K rig.

You can find some screens in this thread ...... http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...g-my-7850k-to-make-an-awesome-Lan-Party-Beast!

Last edited:
Yes from what I know these chips run hotter and AMD OD has always been recommended for temp monitoring AFIK which shows a delta instead of an actual temp. As for temps my cooling isn't exactly normal by any means so a comparison wouldn't be realistic in this situation. But the CPU does start to need a lot more juice once you pass the 4.5 mark. This I do know.
Any way I would hold off on changing anything until the right monitoring program is used.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. I'm gonna stay at 4.5 for now. I did use the amd od ap but it would lock the pc up after a few minutes using autotune. Still, not too bad from the stock 3.7 and much much better than my last rig which was an intel p4e @3.06-lol (i set that box in the alley sans hd's). I did reseat it 'correctly' using less arctic silver this time. Didn't seem to make much diff but at least I feel a little better. I really love the fact my rear fan blows cool air. I'm in the market for a Getac B300 laptop now. Gonna grab one in a couple months I hope so as not to be tied to my desk nor killing my eyes on this stupid *** Z3.
Mahalos to all.

Last edited:
Back