• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What video card to go with my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

Read signature for pc specs, just built my first home gaming computer. I took the 6950 video card from my old computer, Im not sure to go nvida or amd My ball park price range is around 200-250. I want the best bang i can get for my buck.
What would go good with my cpu?

I was leaning on the amd R9 280 but I thought id come for some input.

I'd be wary of running an 8350 with a 290 on that motherboard and PSU...

I'd be wary of running an 8350 with a 290 on that motherboard and PSU...

It's an "880W" PSU, but it only has 2 PCIe power connections?? And they're only 6-pin?
Ticking time bomb, me thinks.

Edit: First two reviews I see:

Loud pop, burning smell and that's all she wrote.
Amazon Customer

After using this power supply for about three days, it blew out.
fuelgun

now you got me worried lol....

yes it has 2 pcie power connections, and their 6 pin. What are new video cards ran on now a days?

Generally they're still run on 6 pin, but that PSU that you have is what they call a "catastrophic failure" in that it will literally blow up. Not can, or may. Will.

First upgrade I would make is a quality PSU. Quickly.

Generally they're still run on 6 pin, but that PSU that you have is what they call a "catastrophic failure" in that it will literally blow up. Not can, or may. Will.

First upgrade I would make is a quality PSU. Quickly.

can it cause damage to my pc or will the psu just stop working???

now you got me worried lol....

yes it has 2 pcie power connections, and their 6 pin. What are new video cards ran on now a days?

You should absolutely be worried.
The motherboard's compatibility list says:
* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.
It's a 4+1 VRM without a heatsink, pushing a 125W CPU. You typically want a 6+2 or 8+2 with a heatsink for that.
Honestly, I wouldn't run any FX CPU on a board without a VRM heatsink.

An R9 290 will need an 8-pin and a 6pin or two 8-pins, depending on the exact model.

can it cause damage to my pc or will the psu just stop working???

It can literally kill any part it's connected to if it dies.

First I'd get a new power supply OP. As ither have mentioned in this thread, that thing sounds like a time bomb. An r9 290 usually uses a single 8 pin and 6 pin. A singular 290 can use around 270-300 watts under full load depending on overclock. Overall it seems you're damn near going to be building an entirely new pc. New mobo to handle an fx chip, new gpu, and new power supply. For now though, id focus on getti.v a quality power supply. A good 750 watt would be perfect. Enough to run a good video card and chip with beefy overclocks as well.

Back