• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA Geforce GTX 970 FTW in SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyNumb3r13

Registered
Hey guys I just recently added another gtx 970 to my system and have noticed my temps for the cards @ idle are hovering around 60C. I am aware of the fact that when running the monitor on 144hz the cards are stressed leading to high temps, so i keep it on 120hz regularly besides in game. Ive tried 60 and no change. So is it normal when in SLI that the cards are at a greater temp, or do i just need better airflow?
When i had the single card it had no problems sitting at idly around 30-40C.

Idle @ 40% fans.png

temps.jpg

20150405_225146.jpg

Those have a 0% fan setting until 60°C.

What are your load temps?

Yes im aware, the fans never turned on during idle before due to low temp and the default fan profile. Under load they run from 70-80C.

FYI the first image of my desktop is when i was only running 1x 970

The temps are just fine, you added another GPU (which is another heat source), and the temp went up.
Absolutely normal.

Alright thank you i wasnt sure. I knew they would go up but i didnt think it would be a 25C jump.

I would throw the bios switch to the other position, that should keep the fans spinning at all times.

Ok yeah i see those. Would i want to hit those switches while powered off? I could also just adjust the fan profiles in precision too?

That's actually a triple BIOS switch, and to be honest I can't remember if one of the three is programmed to keep the fans on all the time or not. It won't hurt to try though, maybe one of the positions will.

- - - Updated - - -

Only move the switches withe the system powered off. Or like you said, precision is a good option too.

That's actually a triple BIOS switch, and to be honest I can't remember if one of the three is programmed to keep the fans on all the time or not. It won't hurt to try though, maybe one of the positions will.

- - - Updated - - -

Only move the switches withe the system powered off. Or like you said, precision is a good option too.

Ok thank you, much appreciated. I will probably just leave the default fan profile for now. I just didn't expect such a jump in temps.
Sweet review by the way. I glanced through it before i had purchased the original card.

I personally wouldn't (and don't) worry about it. If you have the monitor set to turn off after a period of time, just let the system idle for about 10 minutes after that. Then go back and check temps. They'll probably be in the 30*C range.

No reason to adjust the fans unless your pushing the card. They stay plenty cool at stock.

Back