• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting RAM Frecuency in Asrock 990FX Extreme6 from 1600 to 1866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think that if you can post shots of your memory settings in bios someone here can help you set the ram timings. Most bios these days can export screenshots to a FAT32 formatted USB by pressing F12. Yours may be different but it probably has such an option.
I would also suggest trying 2 sticks initially, AFIK , I don't think any AMD FX board "officially" supports more than 2 DIMMS.

Last edited:
Look at the Ram timing, its not the same as XMP profile number one, take it off Auto. and I would install a fan to cool the NB if you are overclocking with water cooling

Last edited:
I used Prime95, about helf an hour with the first Option: Small FFts. CPU never went more tan 39°c, I didn't have much more time to test..

what do you think of all this friend?

Regards

Most of here do not consider a rig stable unless it passes at least 2 hours of Prime 95 "Blend". For my own use I know if my overclock can pass 2 hours of Blend it will be stable for anything and everything I throw at it. That said it's your computer and if they way it is now is stable enough for you then call it a day and enjoy it. What I would personally do is see if it passes 2 hours of blend where it's set, if it does raise the Dram multiplier 1 which will give you a slight overclock over 1600 Mhz on the ram. I would then see if it's still stable running blend for another 2 hours.

Mandrake i stressed it for two ours. All ok. No freeze. But as you say.. Ram at 1400 MHz .. It's not so good. Where is the DRam multiplier? i didnt find it.

The Dram multiplier is the Dram frequency, you have it set at 1333 Mhz right now with the Fsb set at 210 it's giving you a Dram frequency of 1400, 210/3x10=700 mhz x2= 1400. If you raise the Dram frequency to DDR 1600 Mhz it is going to slightly overclock your ram to 1680 Mhz, 210/1x4=840 Mhz x2 = 1680 Mhz. After you raise it test it 2 hours again to establish stability again. If it fails, we then know it's most likely the over clocked ram causing the issue and we can address it then.

ahhh ok.. then I understood.
The problem is that at 1680, freezes, doesn't beeps bios.
If i set them in 1600, i cant OC de CPU...

:(

I have to set in 1333 them to run.

Its really dissapointing.
I have all the HW to gain much more, but something is making trouble.

Disappointed yes I can imagine. But with Kingston ram, one does not always have all the right hardware. If you can tighten (make some smaller) the ram timings you will not lose much perfomance and probably n0ne you can "see". Only a benchmark might show some little performance gain with faster ram. You can get some GSkill ram for AMD or likely you will have to stay where you are. There are other ram that works besides GSkill but with your problems already, I would not recommend anything else for 'testing'.

I have forgotten have you actually attached pictures of your ram settings that are in bios?
RGone....

ahhh ok.. then I understood.
The problem is that at 1680, freezes, doesn't beeps bios.
If i set them in 1600, i cant OC de CPU...

:(

I have to set in 1333 them to run.

If you're freezing at 1680 you can try adding .05 V to the Dram and see if it helps. What is the Cpu Nb Voltage set at now? Were the timings left to the same settings they were, in your screen shot in post #19? If so, you can also try changing the timings to the XMP-1866 profile and see if you can then get it to boot at 1680.

The system is Stable running like images post 19 with thtat timings you see. But at 1400 MHz. The timings are default, i dont underestand much to set them manually, too much fields to fill with 9 10 11 and 30s.. :S

The cpu NB V you can see in the images.
I will try again raising the Dram V to 1.65 (they are by default in 1.5 - I read in a post, some Kingston representant told 1.65 at 1866. raising it 0.15 is dangerous?

I will try again with the XMP profils , but last time it didn't beep bios start.. Are you saying that i must use the timings of the XMP profile with but manually?? , if that is, i 'll try. at 1680 after setting manually that xmp timigs

Guys i'm reallt really greatful to you with al this help.. Thanks a lot! Your time is being valorated :) 150413104737.jpg 150413104750.jpg 150413104757.jpg 150413104807.jpg 150413104815.jpg 150413105032.jpg

This is what I feel you should try. Click on Dram frequency, where you have it set at 1399 right now. Set it to 1680 then go into Dram timing controls and manually set the timings to 9-10-11-27-44 and see if it get into windows.

Mandrake I made what you told me but with 1.6v Dram and 1.20 NB (Not CPU NB). With the timings you said, BIOS STARTS OK. The problem 150413182402.jpg 150413182452.jpg 150413182715.jpg 150413182729.jpg now is Windows.

BSOD

I attach images

regards bsod.jpg

Damn, that sucks. That's usually a sign that it's still not even close to stable. With the Dram Volts at 1.6, the Cpu Nb freq at 1.35v and the Nb volts at 1.2 and still it's not stable is not a good sign at all. Try loosening the timings from 9-10-11 to 11-11-11 and see what happens. These damn Kingston sticks are always such a Pia.

Yo P_007...

...See Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) at 300 and AUTO. I have seen some ram tech support people suggest to move that to 160 and everything suddenly do just loverly. Try it you might like it.

Additionally, if the SPD calls for a certain set of timings at a certain speed...then you need to set them there exactly. But for instance, if the timings were 9, 9, 9, 27, 38 at DDR3-1866 speed you could run those same timings at DDR3-1600 and they should n0t be too tight but rather be loose. But you need to insert ALL of the 5 timings shown you in CPU-z SPD for the speed you wish to run AND it is my understanding that most ram spec'd for AMD is spec'd at 2T command rate. Some will do 1T yes and everyone's appetite is for 1T but it would be better to have working ram than 1T. FYI, some of my ram will run 1T but tests with ram performance tester, better at 2T. A few others have noted this as well in private since it is not worth debating in forums.

I am going to say this for the last time, since I hate repeating myself. If the d*mn 4 sticks of Kingston will not work at rated speed, forget trying for more as it is now days into wasted time it seems and mess with ram enough and you will have to REinstall windows. OR get in touch with Kingston Support and have them tell you what to do. They have their own ram wizards. And if they cannot get the ram that is supposed to run X speed to run that speed in helping you...maybe they can swap for some shett that works. But you have to be logical and methodical and keep a record of all corresspondence with their tech support if you wish to get any relief from them. They only respond (if at all) to logic and documentation.

And my last suggestion is to see if you have the very latest bios. Most later bios readme's say the bios is to give additional ram compatibility. Well 2/3s of all later bios releases.

RGone...

attachment.php

This is what I would do. The sub timings are too tight for four sticks of ram in an AMD. I will list them as they are written in your list. tWR=12,tRFC=360,tRRD=5,tWTR=6,tRTP=6,tFAW=24,tCWL=9. After setting those save and exit. Restart at the 1680 speed, if that works and it should then try setting the main timings again to something like 9-10-9-28-37

Mandrake didn't work at 11-11-11-27-44
Johan, I will try that . Then I tell You.
RGone i will try what you are telling (tRFC at 160 and the timings XPM 1866 in the 1600 Dram set). I didnt underestando the "AND it is my understanding that most ram spec'd for AMD is spec'd at 2T command rate. Some will do 1T yes and everyone's appetite is for 1T but it would be better to have working ram than 1T. FYI, some of my ram will run 1T but tests with ram performance tester, better at 2T. A few others have noted this as well in private since it is not worth debating in forums. "
Where i can set the 1t or 2t thing?

I have the latest Versión of BIOS.
I really underestand waht you say. The last step, i will contact Kingston they sure have thousands of people asking this shett.

AGAIN: Im happy with this anyway. I learned a lot. Kingston Ram Sucks. Next time, i will buy GSkill or Corsair, etc. And not 4 stick. 2 Sticks.
And i think with more time and test, will work at 1680, with nice timings, and stable. I know..

Friends: I have good news. This is the reward of all the time you expended with me. I will invite you with some beers and Pizzas. :)
I invite you to Uruguay. Marihuana Is legal and pretty womans. Lol..

Now i'm Running at 1680 ( 840 MHz ). I don´t know if its stable, I'll test. Sure it will freezes and i will have to play more with the timings. Let's see.
I think the subtiming Johan say helped.

I share with you the actual performance.

If stays Stable, i will try to decrease 1.65 v to 1.6. Then if keeps stable, i will play with timings. To get them better. Lets see what happens.

What do you think?

1.jpg 12.jpg 150414125253.jpg 150414125334.jpg 150414125354.jpg

Last edited:
I didnt underestando the "AND it is my understanding that most ram spec'd for AMD is spec'd at 2T command rate. Some will do 1T yes and everyone's appetite is for 1T but it would be better to have working ram than 1T. FYI, some of my ram will run 1T but tests with ram performance tester, better at 2T. A few others have noted this as well in private since it is not worth debating in forums. "
Where i can set the 1t or 2t thing? Command Rate is between tRAS and tRC in your bios. Your bios picture shows it on AUTO but is showing 2T. AUTO is okay but the 5 major timings I usually take off of AUTO and manually set and I take Command Rate off of AUTO mode and manually set it. For my own assurance.

I have the latest Versión of BIOS.
I really underestand waht you say. The last step, i will contact Kingston they sure have thousands of people asking this shett.

AGAIN: Im happy with this anyway. I learned a lot. Kingston Ram Sucks. Next time, i will buy GSkill or Corsair, etc. And not 4 stick. 2 Sticks.
And i think with more time and test, will work at 1680, with nice timings, and stable. I know.. Trying to 'fix' a problem is how most humans "learn". School and books are okay for some to learn from but most humans have to do the 'hands-on' thing. Hehehe. i can read it 10 times and do it twice before I seem to know anything. Tweaking ram by forum to me is MOST difficult. You have to have the person on the other end do "exactly" as you say do or the results are oh so "iffy". That is why I hate doing ram tweaking by forum posting. Not that I don't like ram tweaking but ram tweaking in a forum. And almost everytime I really get "serious" about ram tweaking...a REinstall of the operating system is in my future. Hehehe. That is why I always keep current imagegs of operating system to put image back and not have to REinstall winders. GOOD LUCK MAN...

RGone....

Good for you Pablo, glad it's working out. You should be able to run it at 1866 now. There are a few timings I suggested that you may be able to lower afterward but cas write latency should always be the same as you cas latency give or take one maybe. You or the system had it set to 7 earlier which was likely a big factor.

Back