• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting RAM Frecuency in Asrock 990FX Extreme6 from 1600 to 1866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pablorz007

Registered
Hello to all, I hope you are doing fine!

I'm new into this of the forums. I'm from Uruguay so English its a bit difficult to me. So sorry if i get mistakes.

I have a Asrock 990FX Extreme6 with a AMD FX-8350.
4x4GB Kingston Hyperx Predator HX318C9T2K4/16 1.5V
GeForce GTX770

The thing is that I have BIOS Defaults Settings.

My RAM is running at 1600 (800Mhz), it should be at 1866 (933 MHz ) right?

When I go to the OC Tweaker setting Page. I set them in 1866, and Freezes up.

It has the XMP Profiles, when i set them, 1866 etc. Freezes.

The timing are automatic, the voltajes and the CPU its all in auto.

I want my RAM working at 1866 as they are desinged for.

can you help me please?

Regards

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3,290
pablorz007 WELCOME to the forums....

...:welcome:

So now to your question.
1. You are now another of a "long line" of users with problems with Kingston Ram. Why Kingston has given users problems is not clear at all.

2. Original AMD specification calls for ONE stick of ram in channel or a total of TWO sticks of ram at DDR3-1866. You have 4 sticks of ram. More harder to get to work in many situations.

3. Do n0t think we have had anyone in this forum in 3.5 years with 990FX Ext 6. So we have no idea what settings are available to you in "your" bios.

4. See if your bios has CPU_NB voltage setting and if so set it to 1.25V and test to see if setting DDR3-1866 will work.

5. It is very hard to suggest what to set when we do not have any idea what your bios looks like. You can use F12 key in bios to copy picture to Usb stick and then attach that image to the forum.

RGone...

Copied from Asrock website. I do not see an EXT 6 shown at all.
Chipset >> AMD 990FX 990FX Extreme9 Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
Chipset >> AMD 990FX 990FX Extreme4 990FX Extreme3

RGone...

pablorz007, see if you can find a setting in the bios called CPU Nb Voltage, the Nb voltage is not the one we are looking for.

Where it says multiplier/voltage change, must be in manual or the CPU_NB voltage won't show up.

Be aware that some maufacturers will call the same options by different names but it should be labeled CPU NB voltage, default voltage should be around the 1.0v mark or so. Once you find that, raise it up to about 1.20v's and see what happens. I don't know what cooling you are using but don't set that value above 1.25v's to be safe since I'm assuming you are using air for cooling. Watch temps after you do and if need be drop this voltage a little from where you had set it.

Yeah, found it under list all boards. It must be discontiued since they had EXT3/4/6/9 Professional and the two KILLER boards. Thanks man.

RGone...

I doubt it'd discontinued, the 990FX Extreme6 came out very recently.

Dear
Now i'm at work.
When i return home i will share with you.
Mandrake, now I underestand the difference. I need to find CPU NB Voltaje.
With the TIP of Johan, i should find it. (Multiplier/Voltage Change -> Manual)

HERE IS THE THING: At this moment I Have the CPU with the original Standard CPU FAN (I know....). It's a matter of money.
If i set the CPU NB Voltage to 1.20 with that cooling i will have problems?

Well, Today i will try to buy Corsair Hydro Series H100i, so then i can Overclock the CPU too. It's probably i buy it today...
First of all I wanted to fix the RAM Frequency, but i you say to me that with the standard cooling it's imposible. well...

Regards, sorry my bad english

Dear
Now i'm at work.
When i return home i will share with you.
Mandrake, now I underestand the difference. I need to find CPU NB Voltaje.
With the TIP of Johan, i should find it. (Multiplier/Voltage Change -> Manual)

HERE IS THE THING: At this moment I Have the CPU with the original Standard CPU FAN (I know....). It's a matter of money.
If i set the CPU NB Voltage to 1.20 with that cooling i will have problems?

Well, Today i will try to buy Corsair Hydro Series H100i, so then i can Overclock the CPU too. It's probably i buy it today...
First of all I wanted to fix the RAM Frequency, but i you say to me that with the standard cooling it's imposible. well...

Regards, sorry my bad english
No worries about the language I don't think anyone is having difficulty understanding you. You can always try, if you can find the Cpu Nb voltage setting raising it on the stock fan. Depending on the ambient temperatures in the case it should still be ok.

try setting the XMP profile to number :1 and CPU voltage offset to " *100MV" works for me. Asrock killer with Kingston 2133 "the beast"
watch the Temps !!!

Last edited:
Mates, I found CPU NB Voltaje. I have set to 1.20v But didn´t work. The BIOS Still recognices after 3 times attemting to start 1600Mhz.

When i set to dedault again, starts normally Bios and Window without problem.

@LRG5: I will try this later and i tell you if its worked fine.

The good news is that i could install the Water Cooler. :)

Should i try setting CPU NB Voltage to 1.25?

Regards
1.jpg 20150409_231932.jpg

Honestly pablorz007...

...the ram problem maybe the old Kingston bugboo and sometimes we could not tell somone anything to make it work.

But I looked at the timings shown both in your bios and what CPU-z SPD Tab showed and honestly if you take and set the timings of the DDR3-1600 XMP profile and set them manually in bios...there is no way I would spend much time then on screwing with getting to DDR3-1866, since the difference in performance would likely be less than 2%. Those are some darn good timings shown for that ram at DDR3-1600 and unlikely anything would show as quicker/better by finally getting to DDR3-1866 settings. But whatever. There are some things we might fix if the system was at our fingertips, but typing into a forum is a huge effort in testing one's sanity regarding wonky acting brands or models of ram. Hehehe.

RGone...

Set the Ram Frequency(1866), XMP profile 1 (ram timing), CPU voltage offset to *100MV ( stabilized cpu voltage droop)

LRG5: didn't work, tried XMP prof1, with *100+MV at 1866

Rgone, i read a Lot. I learned a lot. RAM with AMD is what it is. Asrock. The same.... Its very difficult Plus Kingston RAM pff..
I made a Little of overclock, And by the tests I made, if the RAM goes up from 1600mhz the PC crashes before bios.(with the 4x4gb stick - i should bought 2x8GB - berhaps they run fine in 1866 with good timings)
I tried rising a Little Dram Voltage (0.065). etc.
The timings are automátic cause its complicate to set them manually,
Now im like this

12.jpg Sin título.jpg

Pablorz, I see you're at 4.5 now. How long and what program did you use to stress test it?

Back