• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please explain thermal margin for me in regards to AMD overdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I had to reset my BIOS an hour ago because of something dumb but I installed overdrive today and it is saying 60 something degree temp margin.

HWmon doesn't start monitor correctly until the 40's I think I heard so how the hell do I know how hot my proc is and and am I in good shape from what you see there?

Just curious because when I saw the number 60c+ next to my processor I nearly shart myself.

Overdrive.jpg

Just curious because when I saw the number 60c+ next to my processor I nearly shart myself. = 60c until the cpu gets hotter than AMD would like so "margin" to problem.

And once again that is n0t a temp relative to how hot the cpu is compared to a temp inside your room. But margin to hotter than it should be.

RGone...

Right. You have 63c before you have to worry about sharting yourself. Thermal margin may be the worst idea these fools have come up with in years.

Because I know what temperature I'm comfortable pushing to and the thermal margin gives how far from AMD ' S comfort zone, not mine.

Hehehe. Depends on what I'm doing. Either way though I'd rather know what the current actual temp is.

Blaylock said:
the thermal margin gives how far from AMD ' S comfort zone

So AMD's comfort zone is broader? Or narrower?

Well I will try this one more time.
AMD OverDrive™ Utility 4.3.1.0690 Update list:
・ Support new AMD APUs (code name Kaveri) launched Jan 2014; A10-7850K, A10-7700K
・ Starting with AMD OverDrive Ver 4.3.1.0690 instead of displaying CPU temperature, AOD will report Thermal Margin. Thermal Margin indicates how far the current operating temperature is below the maximum operating temperature of the processor.

So the temp as shown in later AMD AOD is not how far "from" comfort zone nor is there really a broader or narrower comfort zone. Temp shown in later AOD is showing how FAR it is to what AMD says is Max Temp but it is and never has been a max temp that relates strictly to the temp in a room where computer is located or temp as relates to how h0t it feels to us. ALL AMD core temps have been "calculated" in reference to a point where the cpu might be moving into hazardous heat territory and left alone the cpu monitoring that internal temp would begin to drop multipliers or something to save itself.

Now there is only ONE package temp by name and there is only ONE calculation done so there has NEVER been more than one core/package temp and so HWMonitor and a number of other pieces of software dropped showing a temp for each core since there is NO separate temp for each core. One and only one calculaltion done to determine a temp that has always been relative related to when AMD says something should happen as they feel cpu is getting too hot.

So AOD now shows how far away in some number AMD calls a cpu temp that the cpu is from what AMD says is hot and something should be done about that heat. Margin from and not actual temp. No temp reporting software has actually ever been able to give an 'actual' cpu temp for AMD at least since the FX processors.

RGone...

Back