• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i have enough Rad space??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mrdaethkills

Registered
I am doing a SMA8 case doing 2 560mm 45mm thick

So i plan on doing two lopps in the system 1 for CPU 1 for GPU i am doing a 5930K and 2 Titan Xes. So do you guys think 1 560mm 45mm Rad for the two Titan Xes is enough???

My take...

1. 560mm for the CPU is massive overkill..
2. One loop is fine for what you are going to put in it
3. 560mm with a thick rad is fine for the Titan X's.

I would put it all in one loop so you are sharing the over 600W heatload between all rads.

I thought so i have been thinking on making it a 1 loop but to make it easier and faster for if something goes wrong i have 2 separate loops so i only have half of the work to bleed one side :p 1120mm of rad to bleed all at once is a scary thought don't you think?

Not really. Use quick disconnects if you are worried about changing things out if something goes wrong. It is the nature of the beast to me. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time as they say! :p

If you do stick with two loops, you can likely go down to 2x140mm of that same 45mm thick rad and still get solid CPU temps, but I would keep the 4x140mm 45mm thick rad for the Titan Xs.

Quick disconnects are harrrdddd I do not know i will look into all my options
Total cost right now is $6667 sooo if it is cheaper 2 loops i will be doing two

CPU
All the water cooling
Mobo
Ram
Storage
2 Titan Xes
SMA8 case
PSU
OS
1Monitor i want dual so that will be another $500-$1000 for a 4K monitor

My build is pure unadulterated OVERKILLLLLLL

They are hard?

How would it be cheaper to do two loops? Its the same exact parts for all intents and purposes, but you need to buy another pump for two loops. ;)

Let us be perfectly honest my first time water cooling so actually doing it is all a new game for me :p... Yes i realize a lot is riding on my first water cooling

Take a look at the sticky threads, particularly the beginners guide to water cooling. that should fill in any knowledge gaps you may have. :)

2 loops is only for looks - which is fine if you understand what you are giving up in performance Vs looks..

From a performance perspective it is generally better to go for the single loop as you can then use all of your rad cooling ability across all of your blocks.

For instance with your example of 2x 560 rads - if going the two loop option then the rad which cools the cpu will be way overkill and you will have wasted any spare cooling capacity that this rad will have to offer. On the other hand the other 560 cooling the 2 Titan Z's will be running at closer to its max dissipation capacity.

Much better to use both rads across all the devices you wish to cool if outright performance is concerned rather than looks.

Another third option is to utilise two reservoirs and connect them to the same loop so from an outsiders perspective it looks like you are running two loops but in fact you are not. Advantage of this is that you maintain the maximum rad cooling ability across all your devices and still have the 2 working reservoirs to fill out your large case ie you also address the looks dept... Best of both worlds...?

Last edited:
wanna make it even more fun??? Make it 2 loops and have them feed each other :D lol I did it with a couple builds once. I'll admit they shared a rez though so its not as hard as it sounds. out of rez to rad for cpu then cpu to the inlet side of the gpu loop/ out of rez to rad then gpu's then into cpu side of rez lol.

But a single loop is easily done with your load plus with that much overkill on raddage you'll most likely be able to keep ur fans SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running my 4930K and sli'd oc'd 980's on a 45mm thick 320 and 280 rad and temps are very nice for me.

Okay so first off two Titan X's not Z's okay done with that. I think the two res feeding one pump is a good idea idk why i did not think of that. That can save me like $200+ i think that is a great idea.

When I did my first loop, I planned to make it much more complicated than it needed to be. Varying tube sizes, ball valves to adjust individual loop flow, etc.

In the end, a single loop is fine. It's not that bad to drain and remove individual components.

On a side note, where in Okinawa are you? I just to be stationed there, just next to Henoko.

I've never done two loops, always one. I am admittedly overadded with 3 480s but I have room to add a third gpu without a lot more work.

I agree that one loop makes a lot more sense and probably cents. I have Koolance Quick Disconnects for an external MO RA3 rad and they are very easy to work with.

I would keep to a simple single loop.

The Titan Xs are 250W each with OC's @ 275W each so they are dumping 500 to 550W max into the loop. I have a 5960x (8c/16t) and at 4.4Ghz (decent OC) I'm dumping @250W max into the loop. Perhaps a bit more. Your 5930k won't add any more at 6c/12t.

Earthdogs comment about using both 560s in a single loop would allow you to push both your cpu AND your gpus to decent OCs without exceeding the thermal capacity of the radiator combo, although I doubt even a single 560 would be overwhelmed by dual Titans.

One thing not mentioned yet is buy GOOD fans designed for radiators. So sad to see people pay a ton of $$ on rads and cheap out on fans that perform poorly.

Martinsliquidlabs has done a ton of watercooling testing although the info is getting a bit dated. He just established a new domain site where he republished all of his findings and testing.

Here it is:
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

Take the time to read through the testing info. It will really help you understand some of the nuances to this business.

Techjesse's system above is a GREAT example of a solid single loop system.

Good luck.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCFs.

I'd like to know a little bit more about this build and your intentions. Is this just strictly a gaming rig? If it is, I'd wait for the GTX 980 Ti's towards september as the Titan X's are more of a hybrid gamer and rendering/computation GPU. Are you going for the "bling" factor as well? Interested in LEDs? What theme and colors are you looking for in this build?

I agree that a single loop is the way you should go.

As for the radiators, not sure if there are highly rated 140mm fans in the market as there are 120mm fans. I'd advise in going with 120mm fans and rads. Go with the thickest or 2nd thickets radiators that your case can fit.

Just grab a single reservoir and use a two pump solution for redundancy if you'd like.

Take your time on this and do a bit more research before taking the plunge on a high end system. You're way overkill and will be hitting diminishing returns with that much heat surface with said components. You can get the highest OC's and have your fans at fairly low settings while getting great Delta-Temps and still have a ton of headroom.

Again, read up on our stickies and have a look at this basic intro to water cooling video.

Well sir to answer a few things you said. Yes i do plan on only gameing Maybe a little rendering not to much. I have been thinking about the 980Ti i plan on waiting on my GPU till they have an actual date for that card but in case they do not come out with the Ti version i am ready to do the Titan X. As for the color scheme mine is Black and Red i will be using clear tubeing and Blood Red fluid by Mayhem. I have done reaserch on Watercooling and my hardware for the past 3-4months I am very confident in what i am buying. I know my build is ABSOLUTE overkill but that is what i am going for I am makeing a PC that just blows away people. I may not as of now know how to OC like a boss but with my PC i will learn I have always loved PCs and i am at a time in my life that i can make the intial huge investment in it. I have put alot of thought into my hardware i am 100% happy as of right now of the Hardeware in my computer once it is all put together we will see :p. As for the watercooling i am a electrician/mechanic and i am currently overseas and i can not work on my car back in the states so i am useing my pc to help me through it :p i love gameing and building everything. I never do anything unless i know that i will 1 have fun doing it 2 use it on the regular :p i know this is a very rambuley response sorry :p

Good 140mm fans for a radiator....http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp140-led-blue-high-static-pressure-140mm-fan-twin-pack

May not be as many choices, but they are out there.

Yeah, I figured there'd be something out there but wasn't sure. I guess if you're going to have overkill in heat surface any 140mm fan should suffice.

Well sir to answer a few things you said. Yes i do plan on only gameing Maybe a little rendering not to much. I have been thinking about the 980Ti i plan on waiting on my GPU till they have an actual date for that card but in case they do not come out with the Ti version i am ready to do the Titan X. As for the color scheme mine is Black and Red i will be using clear tubeing and Blood Red fluid by Mayhem. I have done reaserch on Watercooling and my hardware for the past 3-4months I am very confident in what i am buying. I know my build is ABSOLUTE overkill but that is what i am going for I am makeing a PC that just blows away people. I may not as of now know how to OC like a boss but with my PC i will learn I have always loved PCs and i am at a time in my life that i can make the intial huge investment in it. I have put alot of thought into my hardware i am 100% happy as of right now of the Hardeware in my computer once it is all put together we will see :p. As for the watercooling i am a electrician/mechanic and i am currently overseas and i can not work on my car back in the states so i am useing my pc to help me through it :p i love gameing and building everything. I never do anything unless i know that i will 1 have fun doing it 2 use it on the regular :p i know this is a very rambuley response sorry :p

Sounds like you're ready for the big plunge. :salute:

Have you created a list together on which water blocks, reservoirs, pumps, rads, fans, tubing and fittings you're looking for? Make a listing and we'll give you our personally recommendations and you'll pick what you like.

I like Black and Red theme as the red pops. :thup: I have a mainly Black and Red theme with some silver. Haven't gotten time to take pictures since putting it finally together for being 6 months of down time so as you can see I was in a hurry to get it together.

Last edited:
Back