• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers from the 90's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Booted up the server today and was greeted with the following message partway through POST, right before it hands the system off to the OS:

BSP CPU ... MICROCODE ERROR.
AP CPU ..... MICROCODE ERROR.

Then Server 2000 would not boot saying Ntoskrnl was not found...
Went into the BISO and loaded failsafe settings, rebooted and Server 2000 works so i went back into the BIOS and set my settings again.

Server 2000 works, but I still get the microcode errors.
Both CPU's appear in task manager, and both show load so it's not like one is there but not working....

Any ideas?

Bios glitch. Replace the battery and re-flash the bios.
Memtest your ram. ;)

I'll test the ram tonight.
I was thinking of flashing the BIOS too since there's a newer F4 BIOS than the F3 version that's currently on the board. I was holding off on flashing to see If I can find a tool to edit the BIOS but any AMI tool I've tried couldn't open the BIOS :(

Nothing unlockable there. Bios options are pretty bare bones. :p
Rats. That's what I figured anyway. It's a server after all.
Surprised you were able to get into the BIOS. Got some tricks up your sleeve eh? :p

Real shame SETFSB and CpuCooL can't change the PLL even though it has the PLL listed.
I'm glad you told me to get the 1.4Ghz chips. I would be stuck with the 1.26Ghz chips right now if you didn't say anything.

Thanks for taking a poke at the BIOS though, at least we know there's nothing hidden in there.

Checked on the server and yup. I have memory errors. :( Memtest found 37 of them on test 5. ECC was off for the tests

Guess im testing which stick is bad tomorrow. Now can I continue to use the bad stick with ECC on? Will that catch all the errors? Or will things still get corrupted?

Ecc isn't a catch all. You'll have to replace it.

Surprised you were able to get into the BIOS. Got some tricks up your sleeve eh?
A few. I've been doing this a long long time. :D

Ecc isn't a catch all. You'll have to replace it.

A few. I've been doing this a long long time. :D

I've found some more Micron ECC RAM on ebay. Both Micron sticks in the first 2 slots tested fine. 2 passes last night.
I'm testing one of the Infineon sticks in the 3rd slot now.

Either one of the sticks have gone bad or maybe the bit of solder I got on one of the pins on the back of the board is shorting something out, though I checked and it wasn't touching anything else. :shrug:

I don't know what to do at this point.

The 2 Micron sticks are fine. The 2 Infinieon sticks are fine.
Tested the micron's in the first 2 slots, and the infineions in the 2nd and 4th slot.

Yet when all 4 are installed, memtest finds errors. wtf? :bang head

What is this supposed to mean??

I don't know what to do at this point.

The 2 Micron sticks are fine. The 2 Infinieon sticks are fine.
Tested the micron's in the first 2 slots, and the infineions in the 2nd and 4th slot.

Yet when all 4 are installed, memtest finds errors. wtf? :bang head

What is this supposed to mean??

motherboard or cpu doesnt like 4 sticks. Hard to narrow which though.

on something this old the cpu doesnt care how many sticks, its the NB. though silver this is why people say use the same brand and model, i think as long as the IC's on the sticks are the same you should be fine. there could be some sub timing issues between the two that you just cant change to fix it. i would just track down two more micron sticks for the server.

motherboard or cpu doesnt like 4 sticks. Hard to narrow which though.

on something this old the cpu doesnt care how many sticks, its the NB. though silver this is why people say use the same brand and model, i think as long as the IC's on the sticks are the same you should be fine. there could be some sub timing issues between the two that you just cant change to fix it. i would just track down two more micron sticks for the server.
Hmmm you bring up a good point Evilsizer.

I'll test one Micron and one infineon stick. Maybe it will error out? :shrug:
At least these are 1Gb sticks.

2Gb of RAM will work fine for the time being, until I can track down 2 Micron sticks. (If it turns out to be incompatible sticks)

I'll test one Micron and one infineon stick. Maybe it will error out? :shrug:
At least these are 1Gb sticks.

Well they don't error out.
Seems like If I add the 3rd stick I get errors...

I'll test that again. Maybe loosening the timings will let this rig work again.

possibly more ram voltage if you can, i dought there is an option but more chipset voltage would help too.

on another thought, replace the tim under the NB heatsink and/or the heatsink as well for better cooling or just add a small fan if you have one.

possibly more ram voltage if you can, i dought there is an option but more chipset voltage would help too.

on another thought, replace the tim under the NB heatsink and/or the heatsink as well for better cooling or just add a small fan if you have one.

No voltage control at all...
I do have control over most of the RAM timings though :thup:

Good Idea, I'll bet the old TIM is well, rock hard :(

What's 5V SB?
5 volts for the Southbridge? :shrug:

Either way the system says Check System Health! (usually it says Check System Health! OK )
And noticed this 5V SB is fluctuating from 0.984 to ~1 volts..... Is that the cause? Bad PSU?

Maybe I damaged something when my screwdriver slipped when I was installing the heatsink on socket #1 :(

Back