• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers from the 90's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not sure what SB is but the voltage readout for older motherboards wasnt that good. what is the 5v rail reading when you just power up the psu(aka not connected to the pc). if remember this psu came from OKwolf, im sure he checked it out first before sending it to you. if the 5v rail was really that low, then it wouldnt be powering up at all.

not sure what SB is but the voltage readout for older motherboards wasnt that good. what is the 5v rail reading when you just power up the psu(aka not connected to the pc). if remember this psu came from OKwolf, im sure he checked it out first before sending it to you. if the 5v rail was really that low, then it wouldnt be powering up at all.

He did not check this PSU IIRC he got it from johnny himself for PSU swap and it sat around IIRC
Rails read: (When idling)
3.3V: 3.36 volts
5V: 5.06 volts
12V :12.46 volts

Maybe it's actually the 5VSB rail? If so that's the purple wire, which I didn't measure.

i forgot all the short hand for the rails, went and looked. the 5v SB is for standby mode, didnt think it went that far back, standby mode that is. if its low it shouldnt cause any problems with the computer functioning correctly at all.

i forgot all the short hand for the rails, went and looked. the 5v SB is for standby mode, didnt think it went that far back, standby mode that is. if its low it shouldnt cause any problems with the computer functioning correctly at all.
Alright, that's comforting :)

Maybe I should juts flash the latest BIOS then?
My hair is falling out from the vietnamese hair loss product spam LOL.
Huh?? :screwy: :p

Finally complete!

This is it! The server is finally fully functional!
Needed a new BIOS chip and I flashed the latest BIOS. No more memory errors!

This is the best I could do with the wires:
I wish I could braid those damn ribbon cables. They suck for cable management!

20160101_205838.jpg

Any time!
I just remembered having some back in the day and they seemed revolutionary haha

I used to use those cables till like a month ago when I upgraded :p
Just make sure you get the longest cables they have

I used to use those cables till like a month ago when I upgraded :p
Just make sure you get the longest cables they have

Hahaha finally upgraded? :p
What I think I might do is sleeve the ribbon cables myself. Found a quick guide on it. All i need is some braided sleeves :)

Well next week on the 28th, marks 5 MONTHS of uptime on this server!
5 Months straight! I'm surprised there hasn't been a power glitch in that timespan!!

Didn't seem that long ago that I upgraded all my flat cables to round. Now they are in the old spares box.

Meh. Had a bad fan and 2 more bad caps on the server =/

My lol soldering iron was barely enough for the job.. Somehow I made it work (after hooking it up to an old PSU's 5v rail though) it's a battery powered iron but the batteries I had on hand had no juice left.

Needless to say I need a good iron soon.

Back