• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

non refrence bios on refence 290

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clapper66

Registered
Hey,

i have a question about my 290, its a reference 290 with a arctic accelero xtreme iii cooler on it. so temps are not an issue at all, but i was looking at all the bios on techpowerup and wasn't sure if non reference 290 bios would work on a reference card so last night i flashed bios on it from the Asus DirectCU II and it actually booted and worked. :shock: :shock:

Is this safe to do? or should i stick to the reference cards bios? i wanna see if difference bios will make a difference in overclocking of my card. i am using using valley to benchmark the card.

If it works, that's great, but it's a crapshoot whether it'll work or not typically.

well out of all the bios i have tried so far the sapphire 290 trix non OC bios have been the best so far, im currently using valley and just slowly upping the overclock and then running one loop and looking for artifacts so far it seems like my cars is requiring less voltage then with the stock Bios so even if the overclock doesn't go any further the card is using less voltage with will increase the life span of the card :)

No probs flashing bios's mang.

Thats what the switch is for :clap:

Some work better than others , some are unlocked also.

Just be careful with the P1 and P3 bios's the voltage ranges change.

Basically all other bios's and non ref bios's are just modified ref bios's so they are within tolerance of ref cards anyways most are just made up for better cooling solution then ref had (which was horible).

Just watch the temps and you should be ok.

GL !

Back