• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Clean Install Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

One of my two computers is ready for a clean install; an exercise that is needed every couple years, at most, IMO, to keep a high performance machine running like a high performance machine.

I am now running W7 but plan on waiting a few months until July and then install the new W10. I just read an article that stated Microsoft plans on providing free upgrades to W10 the first year after release via the Windows update process. Although convenient, it seems to me this will just install the new W10 system over the existing W7 system yet retain all the BS, conflicts, etc. that a clean install will clearly eliminate.

I am curious what others thoughts are relative to how to upgrade from W7 to W10.

BTW, will W10 retain the silly and very annoying big colorful squares that really foul up the desk top?

You will be able to make an ISO and I assume in some fashion get an upgraded serial # to then be able to use.

I personally upgraded my work laptop from 8.1 to 10 and with the exception of needing to disable the wifi adapter via BIOS during the upgrade process it went smoothly.

One of my two computers is ready for a clean install; an exercise that is needed every couple years, at most, IMO, to keep a high performance machine running like a high performance machine.

I am now running W7 but plan on waiting a few months until July and then install the new W10. I just read an article that stated Microsoft plans on providing free upgrades to W10 the first year after release via the Windows update process. Although convenient, it seems to me this will just install the new W10 system over the existing W7 system yet retain all the BS, conflicts, etc. that a clean install will clearly eliminate.

I am curious what others thoughts are relative to how to upgrade from W7 to W10.

BTW, will W10 retain the silly and very annoying big colorful squares that really foul up the desk top?

I think it remains to be seen how Microsoft will market Windows 10 and what installation formats they will make it available in. They seem to be moving to a model like Apple uses where the upgrades are free but if you want the stand alone hard copy install disk you have to purchase it from the Apple store. System builder OEM versions may also be offered for sale. But as far as being able to download a free from scratch full install version, I dunno. ISO version of the Windows 10 preview are available now if you enroll in the Insider program. Will ISO versions of the product be available after it goes retail? I dunno. Will the Windows 10 upgrade offer us the option of doing clean installs or only in place installs? Remains to be seen.

Knowing the reputation of Fresh Microsoft software i'd wait a couple years for the bugs to go away. Stick to win7 if you want less headaches.

Back