• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 2600 3.4ghz Should i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toonie

Hello , i have an intel i7 2600 3.4ghz and i was thinking to overclock it but first i really need to ask some people that might know so .... here i am :)

I had a problem with it few weeks ago , was getting overheat , because i forgot to install some things ....... but not it's fine in stress test it's not going to overheat again and no fps drop.
Any chance i can overclock it, safe ofc?

This is my rig

You won't push that one very far, it has a locked multiplier.

i understand :) but still any tips? how much can i get? should i do it? i shouldn't? playing an mmorpg an i rly need to boost a bit , and get more smoothness

You'd be better off getting a real GPU than trying to push for the extra 1-2% you'd get from an overclock.

You won't push that one very far, it has a locked multiplier.

No it doesn't. The non-K CPUs supported limited overclocking. On the appropriate board, the multiplier can be increased by +4 bins of turbo boost.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-9.html

The Core i7-2600 has a default speed of 3.4 GHz and a maximum Turbo Boost speed of 3.8 GHz. When overclocking, this can go up to 4.2 GHz when a single core is active. It is well worth pursuing this extra performance.

So what do you mean by "the appropriate board"? What features would the bios need to have in this case scenario? Anything special?

No it doesn't. The non-K CPUs supported limited overclocking. On the appropriate board, the multiplier can be increased by +4 bins of turbo boost.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-9.html

The Core i7-2600 has a default speed of 3.4 GHz and a maximum Turbo Boost speed of 3.8 GHz. When overclocking, this can go up to 4.2 GHz when a single core is active. It is well worth pursuing this extra performance.
Last I recall, you can only increase turbo to all the cores to the max multi for single core. You don't increase to max turbo from all cores and then get more from a single core on top of that...Can you?

Back