• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to overclock 4790k with Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmeatballs

Well, how do I overclock this?

As some of you may know I just recently purchased an Asus Z97 Pro Gamer. Along with that I got a G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2400mhz 1.65v ram 4GBx2kit. I also ended up buying this 4790k.
I come from the AMD side so I don't know how OC'ing works here.

I also noticed when assembled and first powered my new system it wouldn't post. I decided to borrow an 1600mhz ram from my brother and it suddenly boots normal. I set the bios to xmp, plugged the 2400mhz ram back in and it works. However, I can only use 1 stick. Why is that? If I plug the other stick it gives me a BSOD.

Another thing, when I boot with this board I get this CPU Fan error and stops it from booting to windows. I then disabled monitoring for CPU Fan on the monitor tab on this board's UEFI Bios then it lets me boot. I have this 4790k hooked to my Swiftech H240-x.

here are some screens of my CPU-z
cpuzstock.jpg
cpuzmemstock.jpg
cpuzspdstock1stick.jpg

Last edited:
You can start by taking a look at the link in my sig...

But at a high level, it is just CPU volts and multiplier. Keep voltage under 1.4 for daily use, temps under 90C stress testing, and find stability.

Are you sure you are putting the ram in the right slots (see manual)? Is one stick bad... tried swapping them out to see if they both work?

Hmm, the other stick works fine alone too.

Also, I'm experiencing something weird. Sometimes when I try to turn my computer on it goes on and off repeatedly... weird. I am worried that my parts might break from this. I also tried switching the psu off and it still is trying to turn on and off.

Last edited:
1. Try bumping the ring/uncore voltage up to 1.2 but if that doesn't help then . . .
2. Remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins
3. If you have no bent pins and extra Ring/uncore voltage doesn't help I'm betting you have a bad motherboard.

Hmm, I tried taking everything off the case did a breadboard it doesn't do turn on and off anymore! Weird! I have both sticks on the board with the gpu and my cooler. Looks like I didn't mount the motherboard properly on the case?

edit: well it looks like my standoffs weren't tight enough.. weird anyway I am running prime now to see what temps I get on stock clocks with this cooler.

well, is this okay I get 95c 5 mins in prime95(Blend test) wow. I stopped it once I saw it. I idle at 36-38c. I have this hooked up with an H240-x.

Last edited:
Make sure your mount was correct...

Make sure the pump was running...

What did your thermal paste spread look like (take a pic and post it here)....

I think it is a bit early to contact Swiftech about this considering you haven't done any troubleshooting.

Yea, I back read the manual thrice everything seems to be in place, pump seems to be running. I did the pea size for the thermal paste.

Can't take a pic atm but I already tried re-mounting 3 times. The copper on the block also has the shape the CPU for some reason. I must say I did not screw it very tight just enough.

You need to tighten the screws all the way when you mount the pump/block. You cannot over tighten them. They are designed to be self-limiting as the spacer will stop you from over tightening them.

You haven't posted a picture of the CPU after you remove the heatsink yet (so we can see the coverage).

3in1stock.jpg

I haven't had the time to replace my TIM yet but I tried stress testing with blend test prime95 26.6 my temps stay mid 70c 1hr in prime at xmp

Mid 70s sounds about right...

I thought you said that you are still hitting the 90s???

well, is this okay I get 95c 5 mins in prime95(Blend test) wow....
Well, its all tightened up now still the same temps or do I need to reapply TIM again?

:shrug:

That was using the latest version of prime95 (v28.x). I used v26.6 tried blend test got mid 70c max hit 80-81c flat once but that was it. It played around that temp for 2hrs. Still idle at 40c though. Do you think I can oc this more?

35C ambient temps and 40C idle is fine.

Knowing you switched P95 versions is HUGE because as you now know, the latest stresses things a bit more. ;)

So long as you stick with that version of P95, go for it. Just keep it under 90C stress testing.

Sweet will post results. Probably reseat my block again just to be sure. Expected more from this cooler haha!

Oh wait! I still idle at 40c even if my ambient is 20-23c!

17921790301_138cac27e5_z.jpg
well here is the photo of the TIM after I removed the heatsink... replaced it with the TIM that came with the cooler. I was using Gelid GC Extreme before. I tightened all the way.

Hmm, the other stick works fine alone too.

Also, I'm experiencing something weird. Sometimes when I try to turn my computer on it goes on and off repeatedly... weird. I am worried that my parts might break from this. I also tried switching the psu off and it still is trying to turn on and off.

I had the same issue with my system turning on and off as well... Go into your bios and turn off the CPU graphics.. The built in GPU on the cpu was causing conflicts for my dedicated card and would cause my system to bootloop

- - - Updated - - -

well my ambient was 35c. I did, I used Gelid GC-Extreme. Maybe I should post on swiftech about this matter.

Your ambient temperature is almost 100f ??

Back