• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange problem... Program affecting Internet performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaeldre

Registered
This is going to sound really strange, but just hear me out. I swear I'm not making this up.

I've been using PaintTool SAI as my go-to drawing program for the last three years or so. I've never had any issues with it until recently. I'm on Skype almost every day with my fiance, who lives on the other side of the state. Lately, we've noticed that every time I open SAI, the call quality drops, my Skype connection drops sometimes, and it affects Internet performance in general. I'm on a desktop running on wireless because my folks are too cheap to let me have an actual Ethernet cable (I'm moving out in July, so I'm just putting up with it until then). What's strange about it is that no part of SAI connects to the Internet, so he and I are baffled as to what might be causing this. At first, I thought it was a virus that had attached itself to some part of SAI and was munching on my connection, but an overnight deep virus scan with Malware Bytes came up squeaky clean. Yesterday, I did a few Internet stress tests and noticed some very large performance spikes when I opened SAI. I even downloaded a different version of the program to see if the problem was just with the version I was currently using, but I noticed the same issue with the new version. Google searching the issue yielded no results.

Like I said, we're stumped! I've included some screenshots from the tests I did yesterday so you can see what I mean.

This is a few minutes after I turned my computer on:

nothing.png

This is with Firefox going:

with_firefox.png

With Firefox and Skype (no call going):

Firefoxandskype.png

SAI running by itself:

withSai.png

Did you pay for it or is it a hacked version.
I suspect Java based malware from everything I just read about the program and where/who you could get it from.

It's a hacked version. I debated buying it for the longest time, but I didn't. I thought about snagging a legit copy of it last night just to see if it would still give me problems, but then I figured I'd be out $40 if I bought it and I still had this problem.

I see.
I foresee you formatting and re-installing your OS. Your data on that drive has been compromised. Trust nothing, save nothing.

Well, f*ckweasels. This is exactly why I have my important **** saved to a secondary storage drive. Summer project, I guess.

Back