• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, So...Am I Utterly Insane to Consider an ASUS "Refurb" MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Golodkin

Registered
I suspect I am, but I thought I'd put it out there for its comedy value.

I'm putting together an FX-8320 box and have everything but the momboard & RAM, and I'm looking for a deal. So far, about the only interesting discount on anything I'd I'd consider is this, but it's probably just money down the rathole, right? From the irate megathreads here and my past experience, ASUS seems to have warranty service somewhere between nonexistent and downright fraudulent, so I'm SOL after the retailer's thirty days exchange anyway...so you see my reasoning, if you want to call it that.

I'm merely thinking out loud here and letting everyone have a chance for a good horselaugh at my expense.

OK, so, if this isn't a great idea, I'm open to suggestions. Here's what it's for -- I'm using this for a dedicated DAW (for which it is of course gross overkill) and perhaps editing some short music video, which can always use whatever CPU & RAM resources are available. OCing will be very conservative.

NO gaming, no mining, no really crazy competitive OCing. No SLI, no fancy graphics card, just a simple 2D one that gives me dual monitors in my studio. Onboard audio will be irrelevant as it's handled by the Lexicon interface in the studio. The box itself is on the other side of the wall outside the studio to eliminate noise.

Much gratitude for any helpful info!

It ought to work at stock. Keep a fan on those VRM's though!

if not, so what. It was $60 no biggie

A 760? Are you sure? I dunno. I was going to hold out for a 970. There are lots of cheap 760 boards out there.

Actually, there are a few cheap 970s lately, just not ones I've seen recommended. Fry's had MSI 970 Gamings for $59 last week.

I would sooner go with the M5A970 over the 760 board just because it has a better power section.
I have watched this board ASRock 970 Fatal1ty Peformance Over at OCN and followed the overclocking there in the forum. It seems to be a decent board for the price . Still missing some bios options but it appears to hold it's own if you're looking for budget prices. Here's the user review. http://www.overclock.net/products/a...-am3-am3-super-alloy-motherboard/reviews/7102

Not a bad read there "johan". He seems determined to put the board in perspective. Plenty can read but not know what was written. Mostly I think they read with a price in mind and sugar plums dancing in their heads. Hehehe. Surely not a CHV, Saberkitty or UD7 and he makes that pretty darn clear. Plus he is pretty clear that he got 4.6GHz with ease but he does not see 4.7GHz coming anywhere near that easy. Hehehe. That is the way with most boards not built to the hilt for AM3+. We have all been to the magic 4.5GHz-'ish' and faltered with our first less than Uber boards. Well I was saved by that by going CHV/Z both times I bought new and could not be happier for the added monies I spent, but he is talking budget build and not king of overclocking. If that key idea he keeps bringing back to mind were adhered to...it might in fact be a good day in and day out setup with only a $99.00 Usd cpu.

$100.00 board or so and $100.00 cpu does not sound bad but he did say he has 120mm water already on it and he did FAN the VRMs. Such thinking and 'knowing' the limits almost always makes for greater satisfactionf overall. I am going to see if he hits 4.7GHz and then will know if he thinks 4.8GHz is going to be in reach. I find my software use of choice just grins big at 4.8GHz. Shett shett. I have already talked myself out of budget. Get that gun away from your forehead RGone...and quit beating your head on the desk.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bang head:bump::chair:

IIRC he got to 4.9 ish , I'll see if I can get some screenshots for you. He also started using this value 240 AIO from LEPA which helped him get higher.

Thanks "johan" that is good of you. FX-8300(?) to 4.8GHz would be nice in the rig for wife. I have my neck out of joint this minute with Asrock FatLady Pro and FX-8120. Hehehe.

RBobertGone...ster.

IIRC he got to 4.9 ish , I'll see if I can get some screenshots for you. He also started using this value 240 AIO from LEPA which helped him get higher.

Last edited:
I wonder if a portion of his problem was just the FX-8300 maybe a bow wow (HI Vcore) or poor case air flow or even a weak VRM heating the socket area. I think was said he had fan blowing the, by his estimate, "thin" VRMs.

Now I am sort of like "kilyan" over in the cpu section...close my eyes? Hehehe. If you do or if you don't. I think I might just replace this FX-8120 'first' and then check the outcome. Good bit cheaper that way first and spend more only if need be. Hold my horses until I see where the watering hole is.

RBobertGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzz

Back