• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7 4790k (Devils Canyon) @ 4.9GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saybia

Okay, first things first.

I'm new here, so a huuuuge Hello everyone! =)

Secondly,

I've got an Intel Core i7 4790k. Currently over clocked to 4.9GHz.

I've previously stress tested this little beauty for 24 hours with Intel XTU and Prime 95 (Ver 26.6) at the same time. YES!! running them simultaneously. It passed without any hiccups at all.
I also ran various other programs and games during this stint. The basics like web browsing - Facebook, Google and watching videos on Youtube. Although some games showed signs of obvious lag none became unresponsive or crashed. I'd say i had about 5 windows open at the minimum during the whole test.
Anyways...

I overclocked my CPU in the BIOS (49x100MHz) and adjusted the Vcore to 1.250v (It shows 1.272v in CPU Z)
I first attempted 1.230v but after a few hours my PC restarted. I didn't get the BSOD..it literally just restarted and booted up as normal. So, i restarted my PC again with a quick press of the Clear CMOS button, made some changes in the BIOS. And the rest is history!!

During the whole time my temperatures were fairly decent too.

My CPU averaged around about 66 Degrees C. I don't have any fancy custom built water cooling system. I'm using an AIO Corsair H110i GT.
It has not been De-lidded. And i'm using the stock thermal paste that came with the cooler.
All threads and cores were active.
Literally the only thing I've had to do is adjust the multiplier for the base clock. Adjust the Vcore and change it to adaptive.

I've got a few screen shots. But videos will need recording in case any of you are interested. If you would like more information on my settings or my build feel free to inbox me or just reply in here.

Last edited:
As I said to your other post, congrats on hitting the silicon lottery. That is a well above average chip you have!

Thank you EarthDog!

I've read a lot of reviews and checked a lot of forums recently regarding this chip. And it seems there is a lot of 4790k's out there that are barely stable at much lower frequencies and even higher voltages!!!
I bought this chip hoping to be able to overclock it to the 4.6Ghz range. Turns out i got lucky... =0 very lucky!!

5GHz is next on the cards. If i can achieve that and keep my CPU completely stable i will be uploading videos on to Youtube (Be nice if i could do this and keep the Core Voltage under 1.3v aswell)

=)

There is a voltage wall hiding out somewhere on that CPU... but hopefully you can reach your 5GHz goal. Keep us posted and show some screenshots of everything (CPUz with P95 small FFT for example) while its a few hours into the testing!

Oh i know! So far I've only had a few problems with my previous tests @ 4.6GHz, 4.7Ghz 4.9GHz) And this was only due to me setting my voltage a little too low. Windows has started every time. It's been a few hours into the tests before its given up. But once i raised the voltage a little it ran perfect.
I don't have any doubts about hitting the 5GHz mark. I'm sure everything will boot up fine. My only concern is keeping the core voltage below 1.3 in the BIOS. Temperatures seem to be under control too. During my 4.9GHz run it did raise to the low to mid 70's. However this was only when i was running around about 10 programs. The increase in memory usage made the temps sky rocket lol.

I will definitely keep you's posted! =)

(But like you said. Its finding that wall. All that performance could just drop off when i go for 5GHz.lol)

The performance wont drop off. In CPUs though, there just comes a point where your voltage scaling increases significantly to reach the next 100MHz threshold.

Congrats Saybia and Welcome to OCF! I hit the voltage/heat wall at 4.8G but I need to push 1.325v to get there.

At 70c you still have plenty of room to push. GL

Hey, thanks for all the replies guys! =)

Quick update:
I'm going for 5GHz right now as i type this!!!! Technically, I'm already there. But it's not official in my eyes until its sustained at least 24 hours of vigorous testing.
I'm currently an hour and 40 minutes into a 12 hour stress test. I'm just using Intel XTU at the moment along with -
Google chrome (open with three tabs)
Intel XTU (of course) lol
MSI Command Centre
Speed fan
CPU - Z
And windows media player open. (I always have this open during testing. If the music skips, then i know i'm in trouble!)
At around the 5 hour mark i'll open up some games like Minecraft, Skyrim, and play on some emulators. Mostly Gran Turismo 4 on PCSX2.

Again, i adjusted the multiplier and the core voltage through the BIOS.
They are set at 50x100MHz and 1.290v (Its showing 1.312 in CPU Z)

So far so good! Fingers crossed my baby pulls through. Once i've made it through the 12 Hour test. I'll go all out with the 24 hour one which will also include P95!!

5GHZ testing1.JPG 5GHZ Testing2.JPG

^^ Heres a couple of screen shots i just took as i was writing this =)

Last edited:
Speedfan... now there is blast from the past, LOL!

You go through some pretty overkill stress testing... wow.

Intel Core i7 4790k (Devils Canyon) @ 5.GHz!!!

Hello all!

I've just finished a 12 hour stress test using Intel XTU.

CPU was overclocked in the BIOS with 50x100MHz and Vcore set to 1.290v.
I had about 5 or 6 programs open at the minimum along side Intel XTU.

The issues i experienced -

Skyrim (Ultra settings @ 1080p)

This did show signs of frame skip. It didnt slow down just missed a couple of frames when in areas with more polygon counts.
(Places with more NPC's, water running etc)
All that aside, it was still suprisingly playable =)

Minecraft (Settings on full. Draw Distance 32 blocks. No mods)

Minecraft did experience a lot frame skip and slow down. Not going to go into too much detail... But lets say. It ran almost as bad as my my old i3 2120 with its intergrated graphics. LOL

Gran Turismo 4 with PCSX2

The running video sequence right before the race hung for so long i thought was going to shut down my pc!! Haha
Apart from that, Once i got into the game it ran amazing. Maxed out at 50 FPS!!

Windows Media Player -

I had music playing for the whole 12 Hours. There was only a few occasions. Maybe 3 or 4 times that the music skipped for like half a second.

My Average CPU Temperature was 67 Degrees C.

Here is a screenshot i took during the last minute of the testing >

5GHz. XTU 12 Hour Test.JPG

All in all i'm very happy with the results =) As you can imagine!!
Next on the list for this chip is a 24 Hour endurance under the same conditions. Except using Prime 95 (Ver 26.6) along side Intel XTU.

Hi Saybia, what kind of cooling are you using. You know, I use a Corsair Hydro H105 and I can reach 4.85 GHz but not totally stable. So I'm running my 4790k at 4.7 GHz stable (Mult.=46x, BCLK=103, 32GHz 1866 Vegeance Pro). Already the guys here told me that the only way to reach 4.9-5.2 GHz is by using a good custom cooling. So I'm very curious how you can running @ 5 GHz. Maybe you have some interesting advices for me. Thanks buddy!

He has a cherry CPU sample, that is how he can do it on an AIO. ;)

Saybia, I merged your two threads... this was always about you getting to 5 GHz. No need for two threads regarding that quest.

Anyway, your stress testing methods are hilariously overkill my man but congrats on a nice chip you have. :)

Hi Perucho07! I'm using a standard Corsair H110i GT CPU cooler. (Very similar to yours!!!) With its stock fans and stock pre applied thermal paste.
I do have it running in a push pull configuration however. The radiator is in the roof of my Corsair Graphite 780T case. And i have two 140mm Corsair AF fans pulling the air out.
In all honesty, i have one of the very rare 4790k's that can achieve a stable 5GHz under fairly normal conditions.
I've not had to fiddle too much regarding the settings. I've only adjusted the multiplier and VCore.
I worked up to 5GHz in 100MHz steps. Adding an extra 100mhz to the CPU frequency and roughly 0.020 to the VCore.
And only raised the voltage by 0.005v on the few occasions my PC shut down and failed its testing.
What voltage are you using @ 4.85GHz?! And also.. what sort of temperatures is your CPU experiencing? =)
You will only need custom cooling if your temperatures are dangerously high. Even then, is it worth the money upgrading to only squeeze an extra 200mhz out of an already nicely overclocked CPU? Only you can answer that question! =)

I bought my Intel Core i7 4790k after reading many reviews and searching through lots of forums.
I came from an Intel Core i3 2120 which runs @ 3.30Ghz. Then bought an MSI Z97 Xpower AC and an Intel Pentium G3258 to overclock and keep me happy until i got myself the Intel i7 4790k. Even with my G3258 overclocked @ 4.7GHz i was extremely happy with the performance. And this excited me a lot ! Made me want my i7 4790k even more =) I figured if i could over clock the 4790k to the 4.6GHz - 4.7GHz sort of range. It would still be a soooooooooo much better than my G3258. And anything i reached beyond that would of been a massive bonus. I did however luck out with my chip.. and its a shame all the rest out there cannot achieve similar results. Even @ 4.7GHz stable.. that is very impressive you know?? I've heard of many people not even being about to reach 4.5GHz (and even lower!!!) with a realistic voltage and fairly decent temperatures.
Just the luck of the draw i'm afraid.
Hope this helps a little =)

Oh HAR HAR Earth Dog ! Hahaha =D I just like the piece of mind in knowing my CPU runs 100% stable. Even if my techniques are a little erm... *coughs* Extreme.. lol
And it's fine about merging the two threads.. Thanks again .. !

Oh and before i forget..
I completed a 24 hour test with an even lower voltage. 100% stable @ 1.2985!
What do you reckon about going for 5.1GHz? =0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back