• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790k performance issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonMan365

Registered
So I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 with an i7-4790k, and it is not getting very good performance. Cinebench scores are much lower than they should be, and I can't even run Minecraft with shaders without lag (I have an RTX 2060 so it should not be a problem).

For some reason, when putting the CPU under load, it actually goes UNDER 4.00GHz, down to like 3.9GHz, and it stays there until its back to idle, where it goes to 4.00GHz.

I don't know what the issue is, I have delidded it and replaced the thermal paste, and I even tried liquid metal which didn't change anything. My heatsink is beefier than the stock one, and it doesn't seem like temps are the issue. I have no idea what is wrong with it. Any help would be appreciated as I really can't afford to buy a whole new MB, RAM, and CPU atm, so I have to make do with what I have.

So it sounds like the cpu that came with the 3020 was replaced with a 4790k (as Dell wouldn't ship a k processor in an optiplex line).

You say that the temps aren't the problem, but have you monitored them? What is it maxing out at?

Also, the motherboard that is in that Dell may not have VRMs capable of running the CPU at a higher frequency.

Lastly the stock PSU in those is also not generally made for higher wattage CPUs which could be causing the issue

So my PSU is a 600w unit, I had to get it so I could run the RTX 2060 I have.

Also, if I were to upgrade my motherboard to the unit that came with the Optiplex 9020, which I believe shipped with i7-4790 processors, do you think that might solve my problem?

What is the make and model of the PSU?

If you were able to get the motherboard that came with the Optiplex 9020 that would likely solve the issue as it sounds like you might be getting VRM throttling. My only concern is will all the connectors work. The big company mass producers are fond of using proprietary connectors for power, front panel pin block and case fans.

But as Janus asked, have you actually checked for CPU core temps under load? There are utilities that will do this like HWMonitor, Hwinfo64, and Coretemp. Even though your heat sink is beefier than stock, you also are not using the stock CPU. Before you spend money, you should check the temps.

I have a Thermaltake Smart 600, and in terms of cables, the 3020 and 9020 use the same IO, and other connectors. Both boards use a proprietary PSU connector but I got an adapter for that.

View attachment 211525
I ran the benchmark on this program called Intel XTU, when at low CPU utilizations it goes around 4.00GHz and slightly above that, sometimes up to 4.1GHz, but when under load it quickly does that "Current/EDP Limit throttling", and immediately goes down to like 3.9GHz. Does this have something to do with my VRM?

take A look at the package temp.
what is "current/edp"?

Last edited:
View attachment 211525
I ran the benchmark on this program called Intel XTU, when at low CPU utilizations it goes around 4.00GHz and slightly above that, sometimes up to 4.1GHz, but when under load it quickly does that "Current/EDP Limit throttling", and immediately goes down to like 3.9GHz. Does this have something to do with my VRM?
The cpu is throttling because it is hitting the current limits. Raise power and currentimits in the bios to prevent this. :)

....that said, id bet money you don't have those options in the bios and what Janus said earlier plays a part...the motherboard isn't designed to handle that chip... hence the current limit throttling.

oh, yeah. I bought a 9020 mb on ebay that should get here soon, hopefully it fixes my issue, it also has 4 ram slots instead of 2 which is cool.

Does the 9020 motherboard support your cpu? None of those motherboards look very capable... no heatsinks and weak vrms...

Back