• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sager NP7170/Clevo N170SD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeke1144

Registered
Hello all!

I plan on purchasing a Sager NP7170 from XoticPC. Does anyone on here own this given model and have any experience with it?

Thanks!

zeke1144

I'd suggest spending the extra $45 for the Killer wifi chipset. Atheros radios blow the socks off Intel radios.

Sounds good.

Would it be worth it to upgrade both drives to SSDs in terms of battery life? My original plan was to get a 250gb M.2 drive with a 1TB platter drive. However for around ~$150 more I could get a 120gb M.2 drive with a 500gb Samsung 650 Evo series SSD. I don't believe I will need the extra 500gb by sticking with the platter drive (they don't offer a smaller platter drive) so the reduction in capacity isn't a big deal. Would this land me a noticeable gain in battery life? Bulk use of laptop will be web browsing, Word, and Programming.

The battery life argument is bogus unless you're using the spinning drive constantly. As a non-OS storage drive, it'll probably not be spinning most of the time. Also note that modern SSDs have no problem whatsoever handling swap files. They're typically rated for dozens of TBs written daily through the warranty period.

Back