• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 -GTX 970 FOR COPUTATIONS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsine

Registered
Hi

In a labs machine we had for 2 years a GTX 780 for acceleration in some programs for Biology .The card died and we are looking for a replacement .

I don't know the new graphics . I was looking into 780TI but i cant find any stock in Greece . So my option are limited .

GTX 980 or GTX 970 have less Cuda cores than 780TI and Less bandwidth . Is this affects the computational performance ?

We can spend 500Euro on a card so Quandro are not an option and Titan are very expensive.

Any suggestion

Thanks in advance.

Are you using single precision or double precision calculations? If double precision, the 780 TI is a lot faster, but single precision the 970/980 will be a bit quicker (check the folding@home benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/15 showing the difference between double and single precision).

You may be able to find a cheap enough original GTX Titan, which like the titan black is built as a compute card and will be quicker than both the 980 and 780 TI when considering computations. You may be able to find one on clearance lines or something if you're lucky.

Thanks for the reply . We need the card as fast as possible . So the only option is a stock card in a renowned store here in Greece . The only stocks available are gtx 780(~580EUROS) -gtx 970(~400EUROS) -gtx 980(~600EUROS) on many on-line Greek stores .
I managed to find a good deal Gigabyte GeForce GTX780 Ti 3GB OC (GV-N78TOC-3GD) at 490 but the small store ,but I am aware of the after sale service and reliability.

From big online stores the cards will not arrive as soon as we want to ,so ...
Are you using single precision or double precision calculations? If double precision, the 780 TI is a lot faster, but single precision the 970/980 will be a bit quicker (check the folding@home benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/15 showing the difference between double and single precision).

You may be able to find a cheap enough original GTX Titan, which like the titan black is built as a compute card and will be quicker than both the 980 and 780 TI when considering computations. You may be able to find one on clearance lines or something if you're lucky.

The programs we use are
Desmond Maestro 2013
Desmond Maestro 2014
GROMACS 4.5
GROMACS 5.0
VMD 1.9

Back