• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping pumps/resevoirs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well it's time to swap pumps/resevoirs. My current (sig) pump has been squealing/whining since the day I got it from Mudd some years ago. I purchased 2 of these from him. One was DOA, (which he refunded the cost of) and the second one is the one that's been in service all this time.

Unsure what exactly is causing the squealing/whining as I've tried everything to isolate the noise and remedy it to no avail. Tho the pump itself works as it should, the noise is another story. To reduce the squeal/whine I mounted the pump directly under the micro-res suspended only with a piece of tubing. This method reduced the anoying noise, but it's still noticeable when the only thing running is the pc. If I have background noise (music/TV), then you don't hear it.

I purchased an XSPC dual bay res from another forum, but found out it was the V1 version with the leaking top problem. The seller posted it as the V2 revised version, but failed to actually look in the box when he purchased it for his build to be sure it was the V2. Anyway I bought it cheap as it was brand new and thought I can mount the D5 in the bay, clean up the loop and stop this infernal noise. Sealed the top to prevent leakage, attached a set of fittings and mounted it up.

The results:

Cleaned up loop-check
Look of bay-res in case-check
Noise of pump-horrible

The bay res seemed to amplify the noise and it was unbearable. 3 days later I went back to the micro res/pump suspension mount. Tried to sell the bay-res for months. No one was interested so I tossed it in my closet-o-junk.

Purchased a new pump from hardass and new tubing from PPCS. So today I'll be swapping the pump and micro-res out and reinstall the bay-res along with the new pump and new tubing. Looking forward to a nice silent pc, lol! I'll post before and after pics.

Did you bother opening the pump?

Was the pump run 24/7 aka daily driver?

Surprised the pump is still going strong with all that noise. Not really sure what it could be.

Nonetheless, keep us posted! :thup:

Hey Jack

1) Yup. Opened the pump and could not find any visible cause. I even loobed up the ceramic ball before putting back the impeller. Still the same :-/
2) I bought them both brand new. 1st pump doa. 2nd has been running 24/7 since installed with me. Has always squealed/whined.

Well I'm done and I noticed the silence a new pump can give :clap:

Here was my original setup before tear down. You can see how I mounted the pump so the squeal/whine can be muffled in pics 1 & 3

- - - Updated - - -

Now here is all done with the new pump/tubing and bayres. Apologies for crappy phone pics:

Attachments

• Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Before1.jpg
    Before1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Almost_done1.jpg
    Almost_done1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Bay_Res.jpg
    Bay_Res.jpg