• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help selecting radiator / orientation for top of Cosmos II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryguy762008

Switching over to i7 6700K build shortly and want to put in custom WC for CPU bare die application.
Currently, PC is i7 920 build. Has a H100 push/pull setup w. 2x Corsair SP120 High Performance Edition fans connected on bottom and 2 of the same mounted on top of case under mesh.
The H100 + 2 standard 120mm fans has a height of 52mm. It just fits above my current motherboard.

The obvious issue with my future build is clearance between the motherboard and the top of the case. Assuming the Z170 boards will be the same height, how do I make the most of this space?

I am open to any and all suggestions. A few alternatives that I am weighing:
1) Get a decent 360 radiator < 52mm and put 3 fans on top outside under mesh for pull setup.
a. Issue: Pull is arguably the most inefficient method. Is it worth it? Can this be mitigated by using specific fans/reservoirs?

2) Get a decent 360 radiator and cut top up / off of case to fit it on top outside case and do push / pull
a. Issue: Cosmetic and limited cutting ability on my part.

3) Get super thin 27mm 360mm radiator and do push/pull
a. Issue: the benefit of such a thin radiator may not be worthwhile.
b. All in one like Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate Cooling may be an option here but I would prefer to make my own if there would be a benefit.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back