• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Identifying HP ENVY Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LitlJay

A customer dropped off a laptop with us that had a dead HDD. They want us to install a new SSD and reinstall Windows/Drivers/Software/etc.

Getting it open and getting a new Samsung 850 EVO in there was easy. BUT I have discovered the long narrow strip from the bottom with the specific model number, the serial number, etc has been peeled off (the customer has small children, so it's no surprise that it's gone).

Getting Win7 installed on it was easy, but now I have no way to identify the unit to start nabbing drivers! Neither the wired or wireless adapters are natively supported, so I can't even get it online to use HP's auto detect tool.

CPU-Z reports the motherboard model as 18DE. That narrows it down some, but not enough.

Any ideas? TIA!

Does HWMonitor show any extended info?
It is usually good about showing model numbers.

Also check the BIOS. It will usually have model and serial number information. I don't have HPs, but this is true on Dell, IBM and Lenovo products.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't give hwmon a try, and the BIOS only showed partially complete information.

I actually wound up installing a USB NIC and using the the HP online tool I referenced in my OP. It gave me the exact model, product number, and serial number.

I made a new label with my LetraTag and stuck it in place of the removed one.

Back