• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade sugestions ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

AMD FX-8370, 4.8ghz (24 x 200)
CPU 1.440v - CPU/NB 1.3v - CPU/VDDA 2.5V
NB 2600mhz / HT Link 2600mhz
Noctua NH-D15 - 2x140mm stock
Asus Crosshair V Formula
ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 - STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 - 9-10-9-27 2T 1866Mhz
SanDisk SDSSDP064G - System
WDC WD50 00AAKX-08U6AA0 - Games
WD10 EARS-22Y5B1 - Backups
DVD-RW - ASUS DRW-24F1ST
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
Fractal Define R5 Black - 7x Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14
Acer H223HQ 21.5" Wide LCD Monitor
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

It is ploughing through everything most fine but humour me :) what would you guys change ?

What do you use the system for?

90% gaming, 9% video/image processing, 1% work ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing. The only thing I would do is go intel, lol!

Not worth it IMO now with DX12 and Zen, we will see AMD go toe to toe again from all the reviews i have read. Only thing i don't know atm is if i am going to need a new MB or not (for Zen) ?

Lol, don't expect miracles friend. ;)

AMD has bowed out of competing in the enthusiast realm as far as cpus go.

The only real benefit I see with your usage is if you get a bigger SSD.
That way you could keep your OS, programs, and games on it.

A second 970 in SLI, or a bigger SSD.

What kind of keyboard / mouse do you use? That could be an upgrade you see and feel every day. Could also look at a 144Hz monitor, or a 1440p monitor, or two more of your current monitor.

Headphones? Speakers?

Come on guys, enthusiast website. There's always SOMETHING you can buy. :p

lol, I agree, but enthusiast doesn't mean, 'waste my money'. :rofl:

To me, GTX 970 SLI on 1080p is a waste of money... unless he gets a higher res/better refresh rate monitor.

And even if so, SLI/Xfire scaling on AMD is poor compared to Intel.

So yeah, in agreement with the other guys:

Bigger SSD to hold more applications and games (loading games on an SSD is a wonderful thing)

Better monitor (higher res/refresh rate)

Beyond that second videocard would still give a performance boost if going to a higher resolution/refresh rate screen.

Intel

Those are really the only real upgrades for your machine. Outside of replacing the keyboard, mouse, and sound system (peripherals).

So Janus says the exact same thing I do, gets Thanks'd

I get "lol waste of money"

Hmmm...

Headphones, AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium, or my new favorite HifiMan HE400i. The Q701 offers great soundstage for fps gaming, the DT990 Prem also offers this alongside a V-shaped souund signature. The He400i does decent in games, though the sound stage is not quite as spacious as the 2 other phones, the sound quality outdoes them by far.

Next comes the fun of finding a matching DAC/AMP. And just if money isn't a big issue (even though in the audio world its still pretty cheap, lol) I love my WooAudio WA7 Fireflies that was $999. I picked up the matching Electro Harmonix tubes from the order page and color me impressed. I would love a Blue Haiwaian or similar, but $1k was my budget and I can't justify more :(

Mechanical keyboard! Absolute must have!

Better monitor!

Bigger SSD! (Psst, SanDisk ExtremePro are on sale at Amazon and BHPhotoVideo right now)

Intel, because no matter what AMD enthusiasts say, not a shred of evidence points to anything competing with Intel at a decent level.

This is all just a, if I had the money and it was me :)

So Janus says the exact same thing I do, gets Thanks'd

I get "lol waste of money"

Hmmm...

Have to agree with u there, but SSD doesn't really bother me tbh, 7200rpm so far has been more then enough to load every game in 5s or less with ultra settings, and i has a Razer Naga/CM Quickfire TK. Possibly a 120/144hz monitor ? yes i know im splurging but spent most of my life with cheapo "can barely play WoW" comps and i want to make this a beast in every way that counts for a couple years to come :)

Razer Naga and CM Quickfire you say?! Good taste my friend!

Ya, I would say a high resolution / higher refresh rate monitor would be a good step. Then if your 970 starts to struggle, you could look at SLI or a different card. What's your audio situation like? Sobe had some great recommendations on the audio front.

Onboard SupremeFX X-Fi 2 built-in 8-Channel High Definition w/Sades Sa-708 (yes cheapo from amazon/ebay but the bass/volume on these things are AMAZING).

Hey, the Sades may not be a pricey headset/headphones, but you know what? So long as YOU enjoy them, at the end of the day that is all that matters. If you want to upgrade sometime though, for a cheaper option take a look at the Skullcandy SLYR, probably the only headset I would recommend for under $100. And if you want better sound quality, the Creative Aurvana Live can be had for under $70, you would just need a microphone to go with it such as the Antlion Modmic.

Thank you for all your suggestions guys, i will invest in a 144hz Monitor :)

One 970 should be able to push 144Hz in a lot of games maxed out. If not, then turn down/off AA. If it still doesn't work...

SLI!!! Good choice bud. :thup:

Back