• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running multiple old scanners on a network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ulrikP

I am starting up a scanning service where clients can have their old photos and negatives scanned. Scanners are old technology and not produced any longer and the scanning software needs to run on Windows XP - one drum scanner even has to run on OS9.

I need a monitor for each scanner so I can check if it runs correctly, but do I really have to get an XP computer for each and every scanner or is there some neater and more modern way to do it?

Any information is highly appreciated and nothing is too basic for me.

I am starting up a scanning service where clients can have their old photos and negatives scanned. Scanners are old technology and not produced any longer and the scanning software needs to run on Windows XP - one drum scanner even has to run on OS9.

I need a monitor for each scanner so I can check if it runs correctly, but do I really have to get an XP computer for each and every scanner or is there some neater and more modern way to do it?

Any information is highly appreciated and nothing is too basic for me.

Drum scanners? Wow, reminds me of my days as Mac tech in the 1990's.

I had this same problem with a cannon photo scanner and a patch maker (sewing machine). I ended up setting up a computer running VMware so I could run multiple OS's on one machine at the same time. It will cost you a few hundred dollars but the new VM software is kick butt.

Scanners are old technology and not produced any longer and the scanning software needs to run on Windows XP - one drum scanner even has to run on OS9.

Old tech? Are you referring to the fact that they themselves are old tech?

I have a scanner, bundled with my printer, that works just fine on win10.

What I would consider, for a long run solution, is once you get some income from the scanning projects you have from clients, invest in a device like a Portable Scanner to replace your array of scanners, slowly but surely.

A few reasons to do this. The main thing being workspace optimization. Newer scanners these days also produce higher resolution images, and some even come with software to organize your photos into "project folders" that can be labled whatever you want them to be(Client's name, etc) so you don't have to deal with the hassle of trying to sort images yourself, wasting work time.

As you get new hardware, you could sell higher priced packages that use that new hardware, netting you more money per client. "High resolution Photo copying service" or something to that extent.

As for negatives. I don't know if this will do the job.

I will note this. I am in no way a professional in this kind of field, so you may know more than me about this subject, so feel free to call me out on this.

Back