• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 380 clocks fluctuating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onix87

Registered
Hello. I have a g1 gigabyte r9 380 4 gb card. When I leave power limit at default my clock is fluctuating in games alot from 930 to 970. When I raise tdp to +20 it runs at constant 990 mhz boost speed. My question os how come my gpu can't reach constant 990 mhz (that is default clock for this card) at stock tdp. Is my gpu faulty or is this normal? My PSU is gigabyte greenmax plus 650 watt. Sorry for double topic, but it wont let me write in my previous one. It worries me, that I have a bad card.

But what worries me is why some people are getting stable boost clock with default tdp and mine fluctuates like that? Sorry for being annoying :/. I just want to make shure that there is nothing wrong with my card, because if it is I would return it.

But what worries me is why some people are getting stable boost clock with default tdp and mine fluctuates like that?

Boost clocks are just extra that goes on top of what the card is supposed to run at stock settings, that's why.

But mine is at stock settings. I haven't overclocked...

You're saying you can't hold BOOST clock.
Boost clocks are extra over stock.

If you can't hold your BASE clock, then you have a problem.

Post a screenshot of the main tab of GPUz and I'll tell you what it means.
Please host the screenshot on this forum, not external forums or hosting sites.

View attachment 167775

Here it is. But as I understand AMD only specifies boost clock on 300 series GPU's, they don't even say what base clock is. They only say up to 990 mhz.

Here: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/oem#

On their official site it only says up to 970 mhz...

Okay, what you're calling "Boost" clock is just your base clock.
If you can't hold 990MHz you have cause for an RMA with Gigabyte (or the site you bought the GPU from if it's within 30-days of purchase).

What you have is just a default clock speed of 990MHz. There is no boost clock.

But 990 is boost clock. At least that is how they specifie it in anandtech. For oem r9 380 it says base clock n/a, boost clock 970 mhz. So base clock is actually not even specified by amd. Mine is factury oced from 970 to 990. Bit that is the gpu boost clock as far as I know.

Are you shure? It says this on anandtech.

"Like the other cards in today’s launch, the R9 380 has seen a spec bump compared to its predecessor. The boost clock is up by about 6% from 918MHz to 970MHz, and the memory clock is unchanged, holding at 5.5Gbps. No other changes have been made, and the other specifications such as the number of CUs (28), the number of ROPs.(32), and the number of memory controllers (4) remains identical to R9 285."

So they say its boost clock. In gigabyte its from 970 to 990 mhz factory overclocked...

Its here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9387/amd-radeon-300-series/2

By definition a "boost clock" is one that allows it to run over the base specification.

Take my 980 for example; 1266MHz Base Clock / 1367MHz Boost Clock
GPUz lists both of these speeds individually.

Everything I see for the R9 380 simply lists "Core Clock", leading me to the conclusion that there is no "Boost Clock".

Looks like 990 is your base clock. If it's dropping at a temp of 62C then yea that's a bit odd. have you checked Giga's forums for others having a similar issue? You should investigate other ownwers first, then this will help you decide if you should return for another.

I also don't see a mention of a boost feature (on newegg's site)

Hello. I have a g1 gigabyte r9 380 4 gb card. When I leave power limit at default my clock is fluctuating in games alot from 930 to 970. When I raise tdp to +20 it runs at constant 990 mhz boost speed. My question os how come my gpu can't reach constant 990 mhz (that is default clock for this card) at stock tdp. Is my gpu faulty or is this normal? My PSU is gigabyte greenmax plus 650 watt. Sorry for double topic, but it wont let me write in my previous one. It worries me, that I have a bad card.

I had EXACTLY the same problem, throttling even at 55ºC or less with my g1 r9 380 crossfire (problem persisted with single GPU setup). I reported the problem to Gigabyte and they didn't do anything but blame the rest of my system.

I decided to flash de second gpu with the MSI gaming 380 4gb and it stopped throttling, obviously i run both cards with the MSI BIOS at the moment. I havent found any issues, but I only have tested DVI outputs...

You can just set power limit to +20% and it easily runs 990 mhz, flashing bios voids the varanty...

@leftyman. Please give us/me information on how you flashed MSI BIOS to the Gigabyte R9 380 4GB. I already tried the GIGABYTE VGA Utility @BioS software & atiflash 271 but they're both giving me error message.

I'm also experiencing the power throttle @ default 990Mhz boost CORE CLOCK on 0% power limit of gigabyte model, plus mine is also having 1425 Mhz MEMORY CLOCK instability which is the advertised speed of the G1 Gaming model.
I can only have stability in dying light, bf4, witcher 3 when i backed down the mem to 1375 & core to 970Mhz which is also ironic since these are the specification(mem clock) of a reference R9 380. TIA everyone.

I would advise against flashing the bios on a new card. Send it in for RMA. If you bork your card trying to flash the bios, your warranty is voided. Either raise the power limit or RMA.

Back