• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx8350 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tkom

Hey guys, fairly new to overclocking but I managed to get my fx8350 to 4.7ghz at 1.356 volts. I'm on a Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 with corsair h105 liquid cooler, 7 fans total in my nzxt 410 mid tower. I did a Intel burn test on very high and passed at 53℃. I'd like to know if I should attempt 4.8 or 4.7 is decent enough. I think my temps are a bit high cause I applied a little to much mx-4 thermal paste. Can I receive some inputs please?

53c is about what we like to limit our 24/7 clocks to, 55c max.
Ibt makes a little more heat than we need, try downloading prime 95 and test it in blend mode for 30 minutes and report back.

I have prime95, did a blend and was about 49-51℃. You think trying to get that 4.8 is worth it? I want to get as much as possible of course but also being safe. My build is fx8350, Asus saber tooth990fx, corsair h105, 6 corsair fans, 1 stock nzxt fan, 8gb hyperx fury 1866, evga supernova 750g2 psu, gigabyte gtx 750ti gpu.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and btw did the blend last night, I'm currently still at work. So Ill do another blend test once I'm home to get exact temps.

get hardware monitor, cpu-z, open enough copys of cpu-z so you can fit that in the screenshot with hw monitor open the whole time p 95 is running, post the screen shot after 20 mins so we can see what's going on and how you have it set up., do it at the clock you are running now.

hey just got home, oddly enough one core failed while doing the blend but last night was fine? im guessing ibt isnt really to be trusted? im thinking of upping the volt by .001 now?

Blend test.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

better temps than i anticipated after upping the voltage one increment using the "+"

Your AIO is maxed out where you stand now. More voltage (which is what you need) will only make it worse. If you want to OC higher, cooling will have to be addressed.

Noob question but what is "AIO" that your talking about? Isn't my temps fine with my cooler?

AIO= All in One water cooler.

Your temps are maxed out. If you add more voltage it'll just add more heat making your system unstable.

My core temp is at 46℃... Right? And what other cooling methods can I do?

You package temp maxed at 50c after 15 minutes of Prime95.
2 hrs of Prime is what is normally called stable. I'd say you were right on the edge. I can see your temp maxing between 55-60c after 2 hours.
While your current AIO is a decent cooler, it's not for a FX heat monger. Pretty much only a full custom water loop or better will keep a FX cool.

You need to do a longer test any way Tkom, let it run for a couple hours. It wouldn't surprise me if part way in you drop a worker. When things heat up a bit it'll need just a bit more voltage and I think you'll find that MrScott is probably right on the money here.

Ahh ok I see. Thank you both you. I will see what happens. Also look into a custom water cooling kit. I did want one just cause the aesthetics but wasn't sure if they performed the same or better. Im gonna let it run for a couple hrs tonight after work. Any kits you guys would recommend? Or should I piece it out myself. I'd prefer a budget around 200 mark if possible?

Looks good man, do you still have turbo active? I see it scooted up to 4.8 at some point

Back